Right & Wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hypermind

Hi, I'm commuting to work 2 days a week and have a hybrid bike. I'm using the following lights:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T4B4DNQ (Edited to be the correct light now)

I have a fluorescent yellow jacket and backpack cover on so that I'm seen by as many people as possible as it's always been a concern of mine while cycling on the roads.

On the past two commutes I've been shouted abuse at by motorists. I'm not sure why on all occasions.
One comment was "That's illegal, unless your a copper" - I have no idea what he was talking about, I simply had my light on flashing as per usual, wasn't cutting in and out of traffic, and was sat waiting behind a car waiting for the traffic to move. This person was on the opposite side of the road coming towards me. I suspect he's just a mad man.

Then twice tonight coming home, I got abuse for having my bike light flashing, one woman shouting "I've got a F*cking headache, turn your light off" - again oncoming traffic, and a car I was overtaking while he was in traffic shouted "Turn off your flashing light, D*ckhead".

Am I not supposed to have a flashing light while cycling on the road? I'm aware the light I have is pretty intense and point it towards the ground so that it isn't dazzling oncoming traffic or other drivers, so i'm not sure what I am doing wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated. I might be doing nothing wrong and they may all just be mental where I live (Bradford, so it is possible! :tongue:)

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
If you're using the strobe mode - don't. I'd tell you to do one too!

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

Stuff like this all over the net.
Most of the time I'm happy to get the abuse, it means they know I'm there
Just make sure it isn't pointing directly at the vehicles ahead.
Also I use mine flashing at this time of year as well.

Edit

Just taken the time to look at the light you have. That's far too bright and in my opinion totally unnecessary for commuting unless your riding through the woods.

Last edited:
U

User33236

I have a single CREE LED light on my commuter which, on dark commutes, I have set to constant and pointing slightly downwards. I have also modified it with a new lens that gives a beam similar to a car headlight. With the original lens and aimed straight I can understand why drivers would be p'd off and thats only one light never mind two.

I run a second, lower powered, light in flash mode at the same time.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A double U2 XML on flashing? If you were coming toward me you'd get a mouthful of abuse I'm afraid to say. That's far far too bright and I expect that even with it pointed at the ground, the beam shape is such that it dazzles people.

I personally detest all flashing bike lights, others may disagree...

Be a good person. You can ignore one "mad man" but obviously your lights are having a deleterious effect on other road users. Take it down a notch, turn off the flashing or both.

I personally hate hate hate strobing lights, and if there is another cyclist near me with them, I will pedal faster, slower, turn off, any thing to get away from it. So you are probably annoying even more people than you are aware of.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I`v got that light (solar storm branded) and I would never use it in traffic, its just to powerful.... I use mine for mtb night rides only.

If you do have to use it in traffic point it down and put it on its lowest setting on solid beam. Its a fookin eyeball fryer :eek:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Strobe is the devils work...
....just don't.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Via-Velo-...283735?hash=item2ca8e72d57:g:p6oAAOSwWTRWzGZW
That should do the job, you don't need anything as bright as the lamp you are using at the moment especially not in city / towns, adequate street lights and a half decent front and rear lamp should see you right.
I have one of those I have linked for you, plenty bright enough. I tend to go for a brighter more powerful rear light as that is where you really need to be seen.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-b...864290?hash=item20ec90c5e2:g:CUoAAMXQL99Sb-72

Tin Pot

Guru
Yep, understood. So suggestions on a good light? Amazon have so many I just don't know what to get..

I got a Leyzne XL, max at 900 lumens.

Good for long commute and pitch black country roads.

Can't you turn the volume down on yours?

OP
OP
Hypermind

Hypermind

According to your link, your lights have different settings. Just use one of the non strobe settings.
From what I understand from the responses above though, it's a far too powerful light to be using on a commute, and should be used off road, even if I just use it on a constant beam?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From what I understand from the responses above though, it's a far too powerful light to be using on a commute, and should be used off road, even if I just use it on a constant beam?

Nope, just aim the lights down on to the road surface about 6 feet in front of you. That will be suffice.
Don't waste your money buying new lights, you just need to utilise them properly.

Top Bottom