Rigid or even Carbon forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickle

innit
A fully rigid lightweight bike has a distinct advantage on the ups, especially if they are tricky and steep. Often enough of an advantage that the time saved on the uphill means that you can be down to the carpark before the full sussers. There's nothing to compare with a super light mountain bike for pure climbing ability and i think that acheiving super lightness means using Vs instead of discs and rigid forks over boingers unless you are prepared to spend a fortune.

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer

I haven't ridden the GT yet (getting storage sorted first) and I was thinking that, even though the suspension forks are supposed to be reasonably good, I might change them for some carbon forks that I've seen on eBay for under £100.

I reckon I could get a similar price for the sus forks. How much weight would this save, couple of pounds? Not obsessive about weight but I don't want to cart stuff around that I don't need.

I aim to do less of the techical stuff as I can't be bothered with learning all the ins and outs of how to jump up steps and the like. Just ride it really.

Kirstie

Über Member
Pace RC31 - carbon fully rigid - are just the most unbelieable MTB fork and can cope with most XC in the UK. Everyone should have a go on them at least once!

Agree with ChrisCrC, I still have my M800 (not been ridden much lately) and it is a dream, everything a rigid bike should be: light, fast uphill, quick into the turn and of course no faffing with servicing forks. Perfect for the Surrey hills and more recently Belgium where the rigid fork really allows you to cut through the muck (no so much fun on the cobbles though!)

Top Bottom