Rim Brake Pads Questions -Tutorial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Beat me to it, Fossy. OP - the ones you linked to will not fit. The plus side is that you can take them back and the MTB ones will be cheaper. Having said that, Halfords range looks fairly poor - of that lot maybe the Acor ones are best.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Damn - this is kind of what i was trying to avoid and i'm rather back to square one. Pad and holder sets in koolstop and swissstop are actually not too easy to find. And when i do they are either out of stock (like on the CRC link) or the size is not given, nor whether they are for road or mtb use. This is quite a task!

Edit - I found these and these. If some knowledgeable person would kindly confirm they are suitable (and if one is preferable to the other) i'll track down a tame supplier and get them ordered. Thanks.

Last edited:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
IMO ANY of those will work for you. I have V brakes on all of my bikes, and I've used many different pads and they all worked. I like the Kool Stops Mountain pads which work just fine on my 700C rims, even though they say "Mountain Bike". I like that "plough" feature, which wipes the water from the rim, but that's just my preference. Don't overthink this. Just be sure you get the pads with the studs like you have, and fit them properly.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks threefingerjoe - i thought this thread was starting to follow the forum law of thermodynamics! I think the original V-type has the 'plough' feature to which you refer and which provides an automatic toe-in when installing. I've found some for £14 a set at spa cycles so i think i'll order some.

Top Bottom