Rim crack?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My good weather bike has Aksium Race rims which have served me well for over a year and a half. However, the other day when doing some work on the bike I noticed what looked like a crack in the rim on my rear wheel (second picture). This crack appears to be exactly at a 'join' in the rim, as I can feel a ridge pass under the label. Interestingly when I look at the other rim (front tyre, first picture) I can see what looks like a shorter crack in exactly the same place. Are these actually cracks, manufacturing faults or something else?

Attachments

• 2010-09-19 15.15.32.jpg
    2010-09-19 15.15.32.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 2010-09-19 15.19.18.jpg
    2010-09-19 15.19.18.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 98

PpPete

Legendary Member
I would say perfectly normal, just where the rim joins. So long as no sharp edges to snag brake blocks (or worse, your fingers if handling the wheel)
Most of them are pinned and welded. Even if weld fails completely the spoke tension holds it all circular.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I would say perfectly normal, just where the rim joins. So long as no sharp edges to snag brake blocks (or worse, your fingers if handling the wheel)
Most of them are pinned and welded. Even if weld fails completely the spoke tension holds it all circular.

That's why I thought I'd ask here, as I realised that it did appear to be at a join. I've never noticed a line like that before, though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depending upon the rim, there should not be a line on the braking surface is it's usually been 'milled/ground' already - i.e. the black anodising taken off - Mavic call theirs SUP to give a smooth braking surface - you'll still see the weld on non braking surfaces though.. Some cheaper rims you'll see a line in the braking surface.

Any chance of a better picture - press the 'macro' button on your camera ?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Depending upon the rim, there should not be a line on the braking surface is it's usually been 'milled/ground' already - i.e. the black anodising taken off - Mavic call theirs SUP to give a smooth braking surface - you'll still see the weld on non braking surfaces though.. Some cheaper rims you'll see a line in the braking surface.

Any chance of a better picture - press the 'macro' button on your camera ?

The photo was using my phone. I'll try and take a better photo when I get home tonight.

Top Bottom