Rim Tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never done rim tape before. Thinking of getting some of this - https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/spares/products/hunt-blackshield-tubeless-rim-tape

Anyone know if it's decent? Other brands I should be looking at instead?

I'm not actually riding tubeless at the minute but want to prepare for that possibility, and also get rid of the current crap rimstrips which frankly have no place on my lovely handbuilt wheels!

I'm finding fitting clinchers a real pain - not a problem I've had with other wheels - so am hoping swapping the relatively thick strips for thin tubeless tape will also help when pushing the bead down into the well - is this likely to make a difference or just wishful thinking?

I have 20mm internal rims so presuming recommendation of 24mm tape is the way to go?

Any other tips/tricks for fitting rim tape much appreciated.

God, I just read this back and realised why my wife still finds me so exciting after all these years.....!

vickster

Legendary Member
Velox stuff seems to have a good rep

What tyres are you trying to fit on which rims?

si_c

Guru
Velox it's OK but I find it takes much longer to dry out when it gets wet than simple plastic or rubber rim tape.

That's a fair point, but it doesn't really make much difference wet or dry. Plus it never moves around underneath the tube, and it lasts more or less forever. It has never failed me though, whereas the plastic rim strips inevitably do.

Jody

Stubborn git
Search EBay for TESA 4289 tape in the width you use. It is who makes Stans rim tape and you will get about 66 meters on a roll not just enough for 4 wheels like with Stans. Cheap as chips.

As for taping the rims make sure you use a good amount of tension and then flat the tape down well. Plenty of vids online.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
What tyres are you trying to fit on which rims?
Pacenti SL25 rims. Tyres so far....
25mm brand new Duranos - 2 of us working together spent half an hour and couldn't manage to get them on
28mm well used 4Seasons - 2 of us working together spent half an hour and couldn't manage to get them on
30mm G-Ones - 2 man job. Really, really hard. Took us quite a lot of struggling and use of multiple tyre levers. Got them on in the end. Rides like a dream, but want to keep these tyres for mixed-terrain touring so looking to switch to slicks now.
35mm Rapid Robs - got these on without too much hassle, but this was just an experiment - these tyres are off my CX bike and obv no good for road riding, which is what my Pacenti-rim wheels are intended for.

use Velox rim tape
I'm pretty sure that it's no good for tubeless? Nor the thinnest material either.

Search EBay for TESA 4289 tape in the width you use.
Thanks, will have a look.

si_c

Guru
I'm pretty sure that it's no good for tubeless? Nor the thinnest material either.
It's not tubeless ready no, but it is without doubt the best rim tape, and as it's actually a tape it's also really easy (less than a minute) to remove should you actually go tubeless, and the thickness works in it's favour as it doesn't shift in the rim and provides lots of protection over the spoke holes.

I'm planning on going tubeless at some point too, but in the meantime I'd rather use Velox tape and not worry about it :smile:

Top Bottom