Rim Wear Measurement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
So, on the excellent advice of @andrew_s I purchased an iwanson gauge to check out my rear rim wear.

It had been grabbing a bit breaking, which I *assumed* was because it's a bit out of true too, so I was intending to take to LBS for a retrue.

So, having taken it off, I have a look and fucj me, it's absolutely bolloxed, completely worn away to the hollow section inside around 2/3 of the rim!

The gauge, however, shows minimum 1mm thickness, so I'm not sure how useful it really is.

How the thing continued to work at all is a bloody miracle.

Anyone ever seen a rim in worse condition still rideable?

Replace that rim now. No need for fancy measurements.

D

Deleted member 1258

So, on the excellent advice of @andrew_s I purchased an iwanson gauge to check out my rear rim wear.

It had been grabbing a bit breaking, which I *assumed* was because it's a bit out of true too, so I was intending to take to LBS for a retrue.

So, having taken it off, I have a look and fucj me, it's absolutely bolloxed, completely worn away to the hollow section inside around 2/3 of the rim!

The gauge, however, shows minimum 1mm thickness, so I'm not sure how useful it really is.

How the thing continued to work at all is a bloody miracle.

Anyone ever seen a rim in worse condition still rideable?
View attachment 500166

I have ordered a guage as well, for me the guage will take the guesswork out of it, at the moment when I see wear on a rim I have to work out whether its bad enough to need changing or not, with the guage it should be easier to work out.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I replace OpenPros at 0.7mm thickness. They do look disconcertingly hollow at that point.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Oh my goodness I've never seen a rim like that!

Why do need a gauge to tell you that this rim was f*cked about 4 or 6 months ago? Surely the sight of tyre innards puts it all way, way beyond doubt?

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I see my poor choice of words has caused some confusion.

Of course, I will never ride the bike with such a rim! It's not the tube showing btw, it's a hollow part of the construction, theres another aluminium inner wall before the tube.

The comment about the 1mm thickness was only to question how useful such a measurement is, given that it suggests such a totally knackered rim is ok.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I once saw a rim that you could actually see through - chap was still riding it and hadn't noticed! Think it was only tyre pressure holding it all together...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I seem to vaguely remember my rims having rim wear gauges on them (a shallow groove all the way round)... but then when they're gone, I find myself wondering if they ever had rim wear gauges in the first place :blush:

simongt

Guru
Some years ago, I discovered that the rim on the rear wheel of my Outpost had worn through when said wheel refuse to spin on the way home. On inspection, the brake pads had eventually worn right through the metal :eek: showing the tyre bead and bits of the edge of the holes on the rim were snagging on the brake blocks - ! Oops - ! :rofl:

Lookrider

I cannot speak for all rims but mine have a dot punched into them
When you can no longer see the dot due to wear...its time to replace

paxterg

Veteran
Sorry for hi-jacking your thread but I have a set of DT Swiss wheels, they were my good wheels many years ago but I was using them for my Winter wheels, until I checked them last week and realised the rims were shot! Now do I scrap the lot or is it worth reusing the hubs and buying new rims. the hubs are pretty decent, DT Swiss quality and are about 10 years old, I replaced the freehub a couple pf years ago. Would this option be too costly or should I just buy a set of factory Winter rims?

D

Deleted member 1258

My guage arrived this morning, I'll check my front rim later.

IMG_20200114_114243.jpg

Top Bottom