rims bellowing out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
A member on another forum has a problem on an electric bike. Part of his rear rim is bellowing out. He has fitted Marathons a while ago and inflates to 75psi. I keep mine to 60psi which I find fine.

could it be that extra pressure, they are the later double skinned wheels.( the type where the spokes are down inside the inner section)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If they're bellowing out, that sounds a bit dangerous to me. You don't want to be riding a rim when it breaks. New rim / wheel time IMHO

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
TheDoctor said:
If they're bellowing out, that sounds a bit dangerous to me. You don't want to be riding a rim when it breaks. New rim / wheel time IMHO

Do you think it`s because he has over inflated? he quotes that the tyre show max 75psi but I said to him that is the tyre max not the wheels.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
as said before sounds dangerous, are the rims worn as suggested - are they significantly concave when the tyre is deflated? 75 psi isn't terribly high in the grnd scheme of things - the tyre would normally give way first anyway - if inflated above the recommended pressure...

02GF74

Über Member
electric bike? probably some cheap chinese junk of crap with rims made from noodles.

75 psi is not that huge; road bike tyres can go to 120 psi and above but doing the old F=PA thing, the froice onthe rim will depend on the area of the rim.

if the rims are new, then as above, else they are worn to beyond their normal wear limits.,

Top Bottom