Ring doorbells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've seen these advertised with different prices from £67 to over £200. Can anyone explain what you get for your money at these different prices. We have 3 echo dot's and 1 show so don't think we'll need a chime unit.
Can you view them all from your phone?
Do any other makes work with Alexa and Android phones.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I don't actually have a Ring bell (I bought a cheap, solar powered security camera instead), but, when looking at the Ring, the increasing price seemed to me to be to do with the power source, ie battery, Solar, Mains powered, with battery being the cheapest.

To explain my decision re:camera, I wanted something to alert me to someone at front door (mainly deliveries), when I was in garden at back of house, and, out of earshot of bell. I opted for a security camera, with wifi, which sends an alert to my phone. I bought an iGeek off Amazon, but, there are numerous brands.

400ixl

Power sources and image quality are the main differences as you go up the range. Saying that if you are happy to charge the battery on the unit (two security screws to remove from the wall) every 2-3 months then even the cheapest has good enough quality day and night for most people. Even the cheapest have features such as setting the zone which will set it off.

You can set it up to alert on any movement within the zone or just when the doorbell is pressed. You can see and 2 way communicate on Android or iPhone. The app allows you to initiate a live view as well whenever you want.

You do need the subscription to be able to store the videos which will record every zone activation, even if alert is only set to when pressed, so works as a security camera as well.

I have tried some of the cheaper solutions in the past and none have been as reliable or quality of even the cheapest ring.

We got the £49 wired one off Amazon. Love it. Connects to the Echo View and your app on your phone so you can see the front door.
All my Dots announce movement at the front door and I get an alert on the phone.
I might get the wireless one for movement in the back garden. I'm really happy with it.

Daninplymouth

Iv got the ring spot cam and it’s really good. Has a light too which is better for night time as you get a really clear picture still. I get 4-5weeks off a battery have bought an extra and it just changes over as one goes flat.
get a bigger picture just cropped it for here, this was at 1 in the morning

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I've seen these advertised with different prices from £67 to over £200. Can anyone explain what you get for your money at these different prices. We have 3 echo dot's and 1 show so don't think we'll need a chime unit.
Can you view them all from your phone?
Do any other makes work with Alexa and Android phones.
Blink :okay:

We have a Ring doorbell, but I'm thinking of switching to a standalone unit like Eufy as I'm not keen on the data sharing agreement Ring has with the Police. Could be just a US thing and Ring doesn't share feeds in the UK. It's not so much allowing the Police to watch the street from my camera, it's more that my doorbell camera feed is available to the highest bidder or best hacker.

400ixl

I had a Eufy before the Ring. Unreliable and not good quality in comparison unfortunately. Wouldn't go back to one unless they imprved considerably. Most of the home automation sites also don't rate them very highly either.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve got a couple of cheapy wireless cameras in the house. Not great IMO . Ring doorbell is miles better. It’s hardwired and we subscribe but I like it, image quality is superb and it’s great for deliveries.

icowden

Veteran
Its about bells and whistles and whether you have power to your front door.

The £49 Ring 2 model is wired - so no need for a battery.
The £89 Ring 2 model is the same as the £49 model but comes with a lithium rechargable battery. This is not removable so you have to take the whole thing down to recharge.

The £159 Ring 3 model is the same as Ring 2 but uses 5Gz wifi instead of 2.5Gz - this gives it a longer range to the router. It also has "advanced motion detection" - this is useful if you have a short distance to the pavement as you can set where it will be triggered. The battery is also removable.

The £179 RIng 4 has pre-roll meaning that video is captured from several seconds before you receive the alert, so you see the whole of an event rather than from the point that you pick up the alert onwards.

All of the models can be wired. The Ring 3 is probably the best model unless pre-roll is important to you. You don't *have* to take out a subscription but for £2.50 a month you get 30 day video history or for £8 a month you can use a lot of extras (real time video, two way talking, motion activated notifications) and your videos get archived for longer.

I have the Ring 3, and it is fairly good. The adverts are misleading in that by the time someone has pressed the bell, the notification has gone to your phone and the you have started up the app, the person pressing the bell has usually gone. The corollary to that is that I have seen a lot of Ring footage from Hampton recently where thieves have been scoping out cars to steal.

Top Bottom