Ring doorbells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
As long as it can store data locally on your home network/device you should be good to go. The money they want for cloud services on Ring is astronomical. The new printer cartridge type scam.

Again - astronomical? Really? It's gone from 9p per day (£34.99 for a year) to 12p per day (£44.99 for a year) for the basic paid plan. And you don't even have to have that - you can go free.

Gunk

Guru
You might find you want the chime if you ever want to actually hear the doorbell - unless you have your phone near with the sound on :-)

I’ve hard wired ours to the mains driven doorbell and the dreadful Ring doorbell noise is turned off.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Again - astronomical? Really? It's gone from 9p per day (£34.99 for a year) to 12p per day (£44.99 for a year) for the basic paid plan. And you don't even have to have that - you can go free.

Yep, it is. Have a device with local storage, subscription cost £0

Device with storage on somebody else's computer subscription cost £45. Not to mention privacy concerns.

icowden

Veteran
Yep, it is. Have a device with local storage, subscription cost £0
Device with storage on somebody else's computer subscription cost £45. Not to mention privacy concerns.
Sorry, that's just wrong.

Device with storage on somebody else's computer subscription cost £0 but the data is only stored for 30 days.

Also, if the device only has local storage how is data made available to your portable device when you are out of the house? The privacy concerns remain the same - not that I have any about Ring given that Amazon is the one of the biggest cloud services providers in the world.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Sorry, that's just wrong.

Device with storage on somebody else's computer subscription cost £0 but the data is only stored for 30 days.

Also, if the device only has local storage how is data made available to your portable device when you are out of the house? The privacy concerns remain the same - not that I have any about Ring given that Amazon is the one of the biggest cloud services providers in the world.

Which part is wrong?

7 most infamous cloud security breaches.

https://www.arcserve.com/blog/7-most-infamous-cloud-security-breaches

eufy offer locally stored data on your home network. This provides almost infinitely less points of failure in security. Such as this one.

8222_2000x.jpg

The SD card is stored on the white "chiming" device inside your house.

Save £45 a year... Be more secure...

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Which part is wrong?

7 most infamous cloud security breaches.

https://www.arcserve.com/blog/7-most-infamous-cloud-security-breaches

eufy offer locally stored data on your home network. This provides almost infinitely less points of failure in security. Such as this one.

View attachment 721208

The SD card is stored on the white "chiming" device inside your house.

Save £45 a year... Be more secure...

I have one of those, but, paired with other cameras and all stored on a EUFY home base. Works fine

icowden

Veteran
Which part is wrong?
The bit where you stated that storing on someone else's computer costs money. It doesn't. There is a free subscription tier.

But they also offer a subscription model which is required to access all features.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The bit where you stated that storing on someone else's computer costs money. It doesn't. There is a free subscription tier.

But they also offer a subscription model which is required to access all features.

It is my understanding that ring do not allow saving and later reviewing of videos without a subscription. Therefore no cloud.

Why on earth would you buy a device with half its features locked behind yet another pay wall? It's not my money I guess but it sounds absolutely bonkers.... by my reckoning you'll be affectively buying a new ring device every 2 years with a subscription whereby you could buy an alternative model which has a safer system to review your videos and storage and its one cost and you have it for as long as the devices useful life...

icowden

Veteran
It is my understanding that ring do not allow saving and later reviewing of videos without a subscription. Therefore no cloud.
They do. The free subscription service keeps videos for 30 days (in the cloud). Paid extends that to 180 days.
Why on earth would you buy a device with half its features locked behind yet another pay wall?
You have no choice. Eufy also keep many features locked behind a pay wall.

It's not my money I guess but it sounds absolutely bonkers.... by my reckoning you'll be affectively buying a new ring device every 2 years with a subscription whereby you could buy an alternative model which has a safer system to review your videos and storage and its one cost and you have it for as long as the devices useful life...
But you say that system is Eufy which operates the same model as Ring as far as I can see.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
They do. The free subscription service keeps videos for 30 days (in the cloud). Paid extends that to 180 days

I'm not getting this information, link to your source?

You have no choice. Eufy also keep many features locked behind a pay wall.

See below

But you say that system is Eufy which operates the same model as Ring as far as I can see.

They do indeed offer a subscription based cloud service. But it is NOT required to save videos and you can do this locally on an sd card as I've already described and so can retain full functionality.

icowden

Veteran
I'm not getting this information, link to your source?
https://en-uk.ring.com/pages/copy-of-protect-plans
It's all here

They do indeed offer a subscription based cloud service. But it is NOT required to save videos and you can do this locally on an sd card as I've already described and so can retain full functionality.
I'm not sure it's full functionality without the subscription (e.g. alerts, motion detect alerts etc). It is difficult to find out though. Without the extra cost of a nomebase it keeps about 30 days on the internal memory just like Ring but not in the cloud.

Both Eufy and Ring have had security breaches. Many review sites favour Eufy over Ring however and their subscription is now cheaper than Rings.

Top Bottom