RIP Charlie Watts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Rather a nice anecdote from Keith Richard about Charlie reproduced in a BBC report:

Worse for wear in an Amsterdam hotel, the Rolling Stones frontman phoned up Charlie Watts' room and demanded, "Where's my drummer?"
Twenty minutes later, Watts appeared at his door, dressed to the nines in a Savile Row suit, clean-shaven and wearing cologne. "Never call me your drummer again," he told Jagger. "You're my singer."
According to Keith Richards' 2010 memoir, Watts then hauled Jagger up by the lapels "and gave him a right hook".
"Mick fell back onto a silver platter of smoked salmon on the table and began to slide towards the open window and the canal below it."

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Rather a nice anecdote from Keith Richard about Charlie reproduced in a BBC report:

Worse for wear in an Amsterdam hotel, the Rolling Stones frontman phoned up Charlie Watts' room and demanded, "Where's my drummer?"
Twenty minutes later, Watts appeared at his door, dressed to the nines in a Savile Row suit, clean-shaven and wearing cologne. "Never call me your drummer again," he told Jagger. "You're my singer."
According to Keith Richards' 2010 memoir, Watts then hauled Jagger up by the lapels "and gave him a right hook".
"Mick fell back onto a silver platter of smoked salmon on the table and began to slide towards the open window and the canal below it."

Yeah but did they throw a telly out of the window or park a Rolls Royce in the hotel's swimming pool?

Bianchi boy

Über Member
i remember Charlie being interviewed in the eighties, and he was asked "whats it like being in the same band for 25 years?", to which he replied " All right really ,work for 5 years 20 years hanging about", Sure will be missed.

A story I heard about Keef. In the sixties there was a list each year of those most likely to die from the 'Rock & Roll' lifestyle, and Keef was always number one on the list. When he got to the grand old age of 30, he was deemed to be invincible, and so no longer in the number one slot. Apparently, he was gutted.
Not sure how true it is.
RIP Charlie.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
A story I heard about Keef. In the sixties there was a list each year of those most likely to die from the 'Rock & Roll' lifestyle, and Keef was always number one on the list. When he got to the grand old age of 30, he was deemed to be invincible, and so no longer in the number one slot. Apparently, he was gutted.
Not sure how true it is.
RIP Charlie.
Probably not very true, as Brian Jones was already dead by the time Richards was 30.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Just read that Charlie's wife Shirley has died.

Top Bottom