RIP Gerry Marsden.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oh dear.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Ask anyone this question and you can be fairly sure they'll get it wrong; who was the first group to go to number one in the charts with their first three single releases? And they were from Liverpool.

It was Gerry and the Pacemakers. 'How do you do it?' 'I Like it' and 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. My uncle would take me to Goodison where we'd sit down in seats (still exactly the same after 55 years!) but my dad would take me to Anfield where it was rougher and a little kid like me could see nothing because we could only afford to stand BUT it was the song that made the big difference. Sung with passion and belief, it was the thing that did it for me and solidified my loyalties to the reds. I thank God for that every time Liverpool win a trophy.

The next group to repeat that feat were also from Liverpool - no, not them - it was Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

The next group to do it were also from Liverpool. I'm sorry to say it was Atomic Kitten!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It was Gerry and the Pacemakers. 'How do you do it?' 'I Like it' and 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. My uncle would take me to Goodison where we'd sit down in seats (still exactly the same after 55 years!) but my dad would take me to Anfield where it was rougher and a little kid like me could see nothing because we could only afford to stand BUT it was the song that made the big difference. Sung with passion and belief, it was the thing that did it for me and solidified my loyalties to the reds.

My Dad always took a milk crate for me to stand on at the bottom of the Kop. I didn't really go for the football - it was the atmosphere and the song always made the hairs on the back of my neck tingle. YNWA Gerry

stephec

Legendary Member
Ask anyone this question and you can be fairly sure they'll get it wrong; who was the first group to go to number one in the charts with their first three single releases? And they were from Liverpool.

It was Gerry and the Pacemakers. 'How do you do it?' 'I Like it' and 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. My uncle would take me to Goodison where we'd sit down in seats (still exactly the same after 55 years!) but my dad would take me to Anfield where it was rougher and a little kid like me could see nothing because we could only afford to stand BUT it was the song that made the big difference. Sung with passion and belief, it was the thing that did it for me and solidified my loyalties to the reds. I thank God for that every time Liverpool win a trophy.

The next group to repeat that feat were also from Liverpool - no, not them - it was Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

The next group to do it were also from Liverpool. I'm sorry to say it was Atomic Kitten!

Atomic Kitten. 😄

Ah well, as Meatloaf said, 'two out of three ain't bad.'

PaulB

Legendary Member
Atomic Kitten. 😄

Ah well, as Meatloaf said, 'two out of three ain't bad.'
But, they were managed and created by Andy McCluskey of OMD who also wrote their songs and produced them and they were also a Merseyside band themselves so the beat goes on.

Top Bottom