RIP - Hadrian’s wall tree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Rocks are the only real natives.

th (47).jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Taking

Not so long ago there weren't any/many native tries in Great Britain. Certainly none in northern England. There was ice all over it. I don't know if there were any trees on unglaciated bit in the south.

Not that I'm a fan of non-native species. But even the native species are relative newcomers.
South of the last major ice sheet which peaked 21,000years ago and regressed by about 15 ka, there was a tundra like environment. Any trees would tend to be dwarf species of birch and willow along with juniper. Following warming after 11500 years ago these pioneer trees would gradually have been joined by hazel, pine and them the more warmth loving species such as yew, oak, elm, lime,alder etc. Landscapes would have ranged from woodland to more open scrub maintained by large herbivores. Sea level reached its present after 8500 years ago isolating Britain from the continent.

With a rusty spoon and no aspirin hopefully.

I believe it's traditional to await evidence and a verdict.

Sycamore first introduced 1500s, but only naturalised mid 1800s. How long ago were the Ice sheets? Such a long time without the sycamore making it over naturally. It being introduced not naturally arriving like the much longer species. A central, Eastern and southern European species. Typically lives 200 to 400 years, or capable of that.

One report at the time of the cutting down mentioned that it was causing damage to the archeology of the area. I do wonder if eventually it would have been cut down officially anyway.

It's been a feature on the land so long and judging by the hysteria over its chopping down it is considered culturally important. Why was it never given protected status? It is recorded as a veteran tree, lost on the ancient tree inventory on the woodland Trust site. Interestingly enough there's a lost veteran tree on the other side of the road to the gap stump. Nobody made an issue of that loss, an Ash too considering Ash die back they should keep as many of them as possible. Ash no longer reaches the sizes they used to in managed woods. Good job we're no longer using Ash for wheels and carriages so much these days.

One question, if it was damaging the wall / Fort near it, which would take precedence? If it had come down to a choice, which would you choose? Tree or wall? Hypothetical question now but how would you answer it I wonder.

Top Bottom