RIP John Savident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Ashley, I say Ashley, fetch the tripe lad.

Brilliant character, just brilliant.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I watched Corrie when he was in it. Didn’t have a choice, I was staying a couple of nights a week at my Nan’s to make sure she was OK. Just loved him on the screen. So funny. I used to look forward to Corrie, when he was in it. Haven’t watched it for years now.
RIP John.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't watched Coronation Street for must be going on for 7 years. Well, when I say haven't watched it, I did watch it, but without any sound on a screen when using a static bike and that climbing escalator machine at the gym I used before that make the population unhealthy Covid lockdown. I watched it most times it was on, making my own words up about what they were saying. I remember John Savident appearing in such as The Saint in the 1960's. He was one of those actors who everyone seemed to think had a genuine northern, working class accent, but was quite a 'luvvy' talking quite posh. Geoffrey Hinsliff who played Don Brennan in the show was another 'By eck lad' luvvy, as was Bernard Youens who played Stan Ogden.

Last edited:
I feel old now. Corrie was a regular watch back in the days of living with my parents, they always tuned in and we had to sorta put up with it.
Characters I remember were Fred Gee, Albert Tatlock, Ena Sharples, Eddie Yates, Stan & Hilda Ogden, and many more of that era.
If I watched it now, doubt I'd know a single character.
One of my favorite bands, Status Quo, made an appearance at some point.
Think I'm right in saying Ben Kingsley and Joanna Lumley also appeared way back?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The two big soaps now get around 3-4 million viewers.
They used to regularly get 15 million.

There are now so many options that the viewers and the talent are so thinly spread across too many platforms. I think it’s a shame because everyone’s cultural references used to be the same but now they’re so vast that’s it’s impossible to know everything.

I never watched Corrie but I remember Fred Elliott. I wouldn’t have a clue who the big characters are now.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Think I'm right in saying Ben Kingsley and Joanna Lumley also appeared way back?
I'm not sure but probably, Corrie has attracted actors for guest roles that may not have appeared normally. Peter Kay was in Classic Corrie not so long back, but that was also with Sally Lindsay whom he has a long standing friendship with.

Sir Ian McKellen is the biggest name in Corrie I can think of.
The two big soaps now get around 3-4 million viewers.
They used to regularly get 15 million.

There are now so many options that the viewers and the talent are so thinly spread across too many platforms. I think it’s a shame because everyone’s cultural references used to be the same but now they’re so vast that’s it’s impossible to know everything.

I never watched Corrie but I remember Fred Elliott. I wouldn’t have a clue who the big characters are now.

Me neither and it's over saturation definitely for me. Twice weekly episodes was fine, there's too many episodes these days.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I posted my contribution to this thread back in 2012.

I saw that bloke out of Coronation Street, the one that says things twice preceding the second go with 'I said' or some such wording, in Space NK in Cheltenham a few months back. I didn't speak to him and he didn't speak to me but he seemed reasonably normal.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I feel old now. Corrie was a regular watch back in the days of living with my parents, they always tuned in and we had to sorta put up with it.
Characters I remember were Fred Gee, Albert Tatlock, Ena Sharples, Eddie Yates, Stan & Hilda Ogden, and many more of that era.
If I watched it now, doubt I'd know a single character.
One of my favorite bands, Status Quo, made an appearance at some point.
They did, when I think Quo fan 'Les Battersby' invited them to perform in the Rovers Return pub, or they surprised him by walking in the pub.

Top Bottom