RIP Queen Elizabeth

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So, plucked out of thin air, then, for a company with no contact details whose business is, er, getting people to watch TV abroad. Thanks.
Contact details at https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09558033/officers — looks like a personal firm run by someone listing their occupation as "Internet Expert".

I felt the website www.watchtvabroad.com was really given gravitas by the list of PHP warning messages at the bottom including "Failed to enable crypto in /home/customer/www/watchtvabroad.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/watchtvabroad/popup.php on line 2" (for those who don't know, you're meant to switch off debugging mode and send those sort of warnings to a log file in the admin area before launching the website publicly — and, even better, fix the theme so it's not generating such warnings).

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can we knock it on the head yet? I'm on the website of a provider of supplements for the treatment of rare diseases and there's still a black banner at the top of the page.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think most can't fail to be moved by the occasion, if you're not you must be very unemotional.

I don't think I could rationally be described as "unemotional"; just for instance I attended a funeral of a friend earlier this year. I found myself completely incapacitated by grief, quite incapable of speech and utterly exhausted.

I was emotionally quite unaffected by the Queen's funeral.

"being unmoved by the Queen's funeral" and "being unemotional" are not at all connected, in my personal experience.

a.twiddler

Veteran
All getting a bit pointless now though, isn't it. 61 pages and now it's degenerating into personal points scoring. Maybe it is time to "switch off"

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Surely it's only pantomime if people are faking i.e. a grieving family in this case.

One of the big problems with the monarchy as a concept is that it compels the family to be seen to behave in a particular way.

For those in the family who deviate from this way, opprobrium is piled on - "how *dare* a married couple hold hands in public!"

And they are forced into things which can be deeply damaging - being compelled to stoicism before an audience; being compelled at very young ages to take an official part in public mourning; feeling obliged to take teenage brides more than a decade younger...

This is, in my opinion, damaging to them as individuals as well as damaging to us as a nation by our complicity. Others, of course, will hold a quite different view of such events.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
The time of official mourning is now over, so this Thread is being Locked, as it has descended into matters much more suited to the Forum wa-a-a-a-y ............... over there ...................... ....................... even further ..........over there –> –> –> –> .............................. ........................ ............... here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom