RIP Queen Elizabeth

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Not at all. As Wiki says, he was the crown prince of Greece. But he isn't any more. He's just some geezer.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Not really interested in sitting down to watch a state funeral on TV so went for a lovely bike ride along some really quiet roads. Paid my respects during my bike ride by praying for the repose of the soul of the Queen.

stephec

Legendary Member
Speaking of things being closed, as usual whilst walking the dog tonight I passed the local Thai massage parlour and found that they were closed as a mark of respect, it brought a lump to the throat.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I thought it was a wonderful service yesterday. So well organised and those soldiers who carried Her Majesty's coffin will be proud of what they achieved under such stress and will be able to tell the tale till their dying day!

1663631334266.png

1663630950924.png

1663641699539.png

I for one hope the new King's coronation isn't a 'budget' occasion. We need a proper do (as in full robes, crown, pledges to serve etc etc), as they say 'oop north'!:okay:

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Never managed my bike ride, and didn't get much DIY done; I was too distracted by a day of unforgettable sounds and images, not least the crowds lining the Long Walk at Windsor; and the flowers inside Cambridge Gate.
An incredible send off, absolutely beautiful.
1663635729336.png

Someone could have made a fortune selling these knitted Corgis.
1663635509454.png

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Looks like the last several pages of the thread mimics real life - the majority appreciating the lovely send-off to a very hard working old lady with the odd dissenter waving their grubby and well used anti-British placards on the sidelines.

Alex321

Veteran
Looks like the last several pages of the thread mimics real life - the majority appreciating the lovely send-off to a very hard working old lady with the odd dissenter waving their grubby and well used anti-British placards on the sidelines.

Looks more like you are reading things that aren't there. A few anti-monarchy, but I haven't seen any anti-British.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Can I 'big-up' all the police and security staff around area, (and there were a lot of them!)

All the ones I spoke to, or saw interacting with other members of the public, were helpful, friendly and patient in explaining how to get around the road & access closures.

👮

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
As an aside, there's an excellent case to be made that it's precisely the relative tolerance for dissenting views, free speech and independent judiciary* which gave the UK a headstart in the industrial revolution through free exchange of ideas. This then gave us the ability to form the empire we did.

So, ironically, without people being able to criticise the monarchy relatively freely here, we probably wouldn't have the ludicrously overblown pageantry and sycophantic media display of monarchist sentiment we've seen for the past week or two.

* all these were relative to the times, not relative to modern standards.

gbb

Legendary Member
I noted a couple things...
The bank holiday was for the most part well observed by the public, apparently watching the funeral. I have NEVER heard our estate so quiet all day....eerily quiet.
Talking to a colleague from Soham area, he noted the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom