RIP Queen Elizabeth

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
A bike ride whilst paying respects.

The Queen Mother lived at St Paul’s Walden Bury as a child and was christened at All Saints Church. The future King George VI proposed to her in the woods at St Paul’s Walden Bury.

We arrived at the church at 11:45am, after looking at the memorial to the Queen Mother ,we went inside. We signed the book of condolences for Queen Elizabeth II.

My wife and I watched the Westminster funeral service in silence, in time for the two minutes silence, sat in a pew within All Saints church. No one else was present. Then turned the sound on low, as they sang “God Save The King”. We waited till the gun carriage had begun its journey with Queen Elizabeth II, then left the church to continue our cycle ride.

“Grief is the price we pay for love”

5EB08CA9-88E7-4CE4-903B-A452CE77D147.jpeg

1F29EF88-3516-4E99-A8F3-3B1D387472CF.jpeg

6B6927E6-721A-4531-8605-87A3BDF18BD5.jpeg

53B498C4-6148-4601-AAE2-5F62241861FA.jpeg

Surprised to see CNN doing full blown live broadcast and even more surprised that they had their stable of prime anchors, correspondents and reporters taking turns providing commentary. They seriously did a lot of background research.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I read a report saying the coffin weighs around 300kg.
Those guys carrying it are doing a good job and deserve a medal.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I read a report saying the coffin weighs around 300kg.
Those guys carrying it are doing a good job and deserve a medal.

I read 250kg
But I don't believe either figure.
No way each of those bearers are shouldering 30 - 40 kg each that easily, and you can tell by the way the coffin moves when they lift it and walk that it doesn't have that sort of mass.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Was more worried that the crown, sceptre and orb might slip as they carried it up the stairs. Had my heart in the mouth moment. Then I realised it must be fixed somehow. The guys did a fabulous job.

The coffin was designed with special clips to hold it all in place.

If it was 300kg then health and safety regulations would need to be considered. Would have loved to see the risk assessment for carrying that weight between 8 people. AIUI there should be 10 or 12 people minimum depending on whether its 250 or 300kg total weight.

Having experience of carrying 25kg item of a bulky and awkward shape some distance I can say those guys had quite a job to do. Even on my shoulder such a weight soon starts to build up. Credit to them for doing it and making it seem coordinated and even graceful!

a.twiddler

Veteran
This would have been risk assessed until the pips squeaked. The risk of dropping HM in front of a national, let alone an international audience would have been absolutely minimised, with hours if not days of rehearsal thrown in. Most people don't get rehearals for being a bearer yet they manage. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd fitted extra hand holds too. As it was, they did do an outstanding job.

Cavalol

Guru
Nobody does state ceremonies like us, a fitting day for the Queen, imho. I thought near the start when her coffin was laid down the and the church sand 'God save the king' was ana amazing and moving moment.

Personally, haven't made a huge fuss of having a go at those who seem to almost revel in her passing, as although I don't agree with their views, I wasn't exactly mourning when Thatcher died, so it'd be two-faced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom