RIP Queen Elizabeth

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Over 4 billion across the planet watched the funeral

a.twiddler

Veteran
And yet, people still find something to complain about. I don't know, if the electronic stuff fails to entertain, or even goes kaput what is one to do? In the old days, one would throw oneself on one's inner resources. When I were 'nipper, give me a conker and a bit of hairy string and I'd be amused for hours.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

View: https://youtu.be/ghTAnN2NEkw

Kirsty Young’s final sign off from the BBC coverage was quite emotional. She barely held it together.

I didn’t watch it all and if I’m honest probably think it was a bit OTT. But you have to respect the fact that no one seemed to put a foot wrong for the entire day. Which is impressive.
Shame we can’t run everything with military precision.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Therses been a lot of marching, I bet the RF are exhausted with it all. I thought the pony and the Corgies being shown was very sad really. The Corgies are going to live with Prince Andrew and Fergie. I knew all the marching tunes off by heart despite not making any effort to watch anything to do with the Royals. It just shows you, that tunes stick in your subconcious.
Hopefully that will be it now as I've found it all quite morbid.

postman

Legendary Member
Postman is in a funeral free area.CalanBosch Menorca,apart from lunchtime our eleven o'clock coffee our cafe did not show coverage but the cafe ice cream parlour and another two bars were showing it.All we well attended by people over sixty.

I thought the pony and the Corgies being shown was very sad really.
They were the ones the Her Late Majesty would've wanted to see and know they were OK, most of all, I'm sure. Animals ask no questions, have no expectations and no envy or spite. Then at the end when the coffin was being lowered into the vault, there was a tear trickling down the new King's cheek. 😢

I wasn't going to watch beyond the main funeral in the Abbey, but curiosity got the better of me and despite being all ready to go out on the bike, I sat through it to the bitter end and am glad I did, actually.

The 'main' part of the RF must, as you say, have been exhausted. I can't imagine the relentlessness of it for them. When all is said and done, and unnatural-to-many the upbringing they had may have seemed, your mum's just died - and not too long after you'd lost your dad, either - and then you have to get all dressed up in uncomfortable uniforms, stand around in unnatural poses in strange places and rehearse theatricals, when all you want to do is have a quiet weep while your partner fetches you a hot toddy, and share happy memories about mum and dad, or your grandparents, with your close family members. I only hope their 'training' enabled them to 'switch off' and go into clockwork mode but tbh it didn't look like that was happening 100%.

No matter how much Operation London Bridge was rehearsed, you can't rehearse the emotions of the people most closely involved.

The pony raising a leg as the hearse passed:ohmy:

All those shiny boots and immaculate uniform trouser bottoms marching through steaming heaps of horse muck in London! I had a giggle over that, I've always loved the smell of horse manure. Funny how people with dogs hate cleaning out kennels with the associated smell of dog muck, but people with horses actually enjoy mucking out a stable with the smell of fresh horse manure!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Yes, at times several purportedly hard bitten journalists seemed quite moved. The locations, the architecture, the crowds, the spontaneous flower throwing, the sheer spectacle and the precision of the troops who had obviously been rehearsing for days. I felt for these young chaps as it's a long time since I was in the forces but I can imagine the long hours of standing at attention and just waiting for your order to get going and cover some ground. It's a lot easier to march at a decent pace than to cover the sort of distance they covered at that slow funereal rhythm, conscious that thousands of eyes are watching for someone to make a miss step.

I watched it at intervals through the day. The final trek through Windsor Great Park up and down hill through the tightly packed crowds looked quite tough. The service at St George's Chapel was understated, but the final removal of the Orb, Sceptre and Crown from the coffin to the altar marked a final acceptance that she really was gone, the chamberlain's broken staff and the Queen's standard placed on the coffin to be interred in the vault with her. Some powerful symbolism there. As the coffin went down on the lift and disappeared I thought well, her presence is no longer there and looking at Charles it seemed as if the reality had dawned that he truly was King now, you're on your own now mate, better do your best and get it right until its your turn to take your pre ordained place in the crypt down below.

Coping with his grief and the weight of responsibility arriving, he will hopefully get the support he needs now he's in the position he's been anticipating for so many years.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We watched some of the funeral on a tv in a villa on a Greek island. I'm pretty sure that the Greek government hadn't been coerced into providing that broadcast service by the hateful imperialist Brits.

I expect they might be a bit ticked off that the BBC had some geezer on who they identified as "the crown prince of Greece" which considering that Greece isn't a monarchy and has such thing as a crown prince was a bit of a blunder.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I expect they might be a bit ticked off that the BBC had some geezer on who they identified as "the crown prince of Greece" which considering that Greece isn't a monarchy and has such thing as a crown prince was a bit of a blunder.

I'm happy to report that the locals hereabouts have not yet formed a mob hell-bent on chucking eggs at our windows.:okay:

All I can hear is an owl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom