RIP Queen Elizabeth

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I noted a couple things...
The bank holiday was for the most part well observed by the public, apparently watching the funeral. I have NEVER heard our estate so quiet all day....eerily quiet.
Talking to a colleague from Soham area, he noted the same.

I drove into the Peak District with the family and the place was absolutely jam packed with people out enjoying the countryside. Pretty close to Kinder Scout so maybe there's a point to be made about the British class system and their priorities.

Last edited by a moderator:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The bank holiday was for the most part well observed by the public, apparently watching the funeral. I have NEVER heard our estate so quiet all day....eerily quiet

"Well observed" is an interesting turn of phrase.

CXRAndy

Guru
We watched some of the funeral on a tv in a villa on a Greek island. I'm pretty sure that the Greek government hadn't been coerced into providing that broadcast service by the hateful imperialist Brits.
BTW, I thought the bagpipe band leading the gun carriage were utterly wonderful.

You could hear the two gun salute every minute for the whole procession and followed by Big Ben's single muted chime all the way till Wellington Arch Gate, emotional to say the least.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think most can't fail to be moved by the occasion, if you're not you must be very unemotional.

Nonsense.
The Queen meant nothing to me. The Royal Family means nothing to me. As as much I meant/mean nothing to them. Yes it's sad a rich old lady died, as when anyone dies.
I watched some of the funeral and it didn't make me feel emotional at all. Why did I watch it? For the history aspect and because my partner wanted to watch it, so it was on whilst I pottered about the house.
Yes it was a spectacle. It was an occasion, a sad occasion and it was great for those that do have some sort of attachment or affection for the the royal family and do feel emotional about it, I understand and respect that, but it didn't make me feel emotional. Why should it?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Look, I'm not a numbers genius or anything, but are we just going to let this wildly implausible figure go? Where's @srw when you need him??

1663674788735.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Speak for yourself @ianrauk millions will have been moved by the spectacle and the emotions generated. If you're not a supporter of the Royal Family that's fine but don't rubbish the feelings of others who are.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Speak for yourself @ianrauk millions will have been moved by the spectacle and the emotions generated. If you're not a supporter of the Royal Family that's fine but don't rubbish the feelings of others who are.

Did you actually read what I wrote where I said I understand and respect those that do? And nowhere in my post did I rubbish anyone. I await your apology.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I didn't notice any rubbishing in @ianrauk's post. Just explanation.

Equally, it's fine if you are a supporter of our hereditary overlords, but please don't rubbish the feelings of others who aren't and I feel this was pretty directly rubbishing them by calling them "very unemotional":
I think most can't fail to be moved by the occasion, if you're not you must be very unemotional.

Someone could be the most emotional republican ever and they still ain't gonna cry when a monarch dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom