RIP - Segway 2001 - 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Segway are stopping production next month, blaming the rise of eBikes and eScooters.

Can’t say I will miss them, they seemed to be a solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

Too bulky and too expensive.

Will anyone here be in mourning? Or should we celebrate the rise of the eBike.

They were very good at athletic meetings for camera men to move around holding their gear in both hands.
Remember the guy who upended Usain Bolt?

dodgy

The (then) new owner of Segway killed himself when he 'segwayed' off a cliff on one of the things.

Segway now make electric scooters, or at least the brand name is segway.
1592936457392.png

Julia9054

Guru
I did a tourist guided tour on one in Lisbon about 5 years ago. It was huge fun. Lisbon is ridiculously hilly with lots of cobbles which the Segway managed with ease. Walking up to the highest points would have been quite difficult in the heat.
I came back all set to buy one until I saw the price. :ohmy: Which is why you don’t see them zooming around all over the place, I guess.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a tourist guided tour on one in Lisbon about 5 years ago. It was huge fun. Lisbon is ridiculously hilly with lots of cobbles which the Segway managed with ease. Walking up to the highest points would have been quite difficult in the heat.
I came back all set to buy one until I saw the price. :ohmy: Which is why you don’t see them zooming around all over the place, I guess.
I was just setting off up a nearby 15% climb when a man shot past me on a one-wheeled Segway-like machine. I was impressed by how powerful the thing was!

PS Actually, I think it was one of these (or something very similar)...

I saw him again yesterday, whizzing along the pavement in Todmorden, so he probably lives locally.

DRM

Guru
The (then) new owner of Segway killed himself when he 'segwayed' off a cliff on one of the things.

Segway now make electric scooters, or at least the brand name is segway.
View attachment 531967
He also had a big company supplying the MOD, they were raking it in during the conflict in Afghanistan, I heard his son forgot to renew the copyright of the product, now anyone can make it, they were such a big supplier that they got a private display as a thank you by the Red Arrows over the industrial estate, I was at a job next door, everyone went out to watch them!

Drago

Legendary Member
Does anyone remember the rather embarrassing death the Segway company owner, Jimi Heselden, encountered? If that doesn't put buyers off then I don't know what would.

DRM

Guru
Does anyone remember the rather embarrassing death the Segway company owner, Jimi Heselden, encountered? If that doesn't put buyers off then I don't know what would.
Certainly do, not the best advertisement, his other firm in Leeds had a fighter jet, tank & an artillery piece of some type on the roof

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As far as I can remember, he didn't fall off his Segway, he reversed it off a path to let someone pass him. Unfortunately there was a sheer drop into the river Wharfe behind him. It wasn't that the machine let him down, he just wasn't looking where he was going!

Last few times we were up in Chiang Mai they were doing Segway tours of the city centre. They looked ridiculous and totally out of place amongst the crowds, traffic congestion, foot high curbs, disrespect from other road users, etc. Only saw hipster types on them, who really would be capable of just walking. Only other place I saw them was at BKK airport. Security guards with pot bellies seemed to enjoy using them, and really needed the exercise of just walking. Can't say I'll shed a tear at their demise.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was just setting off up a nearby 15% climb when a man shot past me on a one-wheeled Segway-like machine. I was impressed by how powerful the thing was!

PS Actually, I think it was one of these (or something very similar)...

I saw him again yesterday, whizzing along the pavement in Todmorden, so he probably lives locally.

Anywhere near the railway station?

Top Bottom