RIP Sir Norman Wisdom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
In a statement, the family said: "Sir Norman Wisdom has passed away at Abbotswood Nursing Home on the Isle of Man. Over the last six months Norman has sustained a series of strokes causing a general decline in both his physical and mental health.

"He had maintained a degree of independence until a few days ago. However, over the last few days his condition rapidly declined. He was in no pain or distress and peacefully passed over at 18.46 on October 4."

crankyray

spent many a memorable Sunday Afternoon watching his films on the old black & white telly in the 70's as a kid.

God bless you Norman & thanks for the laffs .

Bill Gates

I remember seeing his films at the cinema and cryng tears of laughter. I remember one film where he was avoiding the character played by Jerry Desmond in a hospital and he ended up in a dentistry class. He had to remove a tooth from avery large man with a huge bushy beard. He couldn't find the guy's mouth so made him rinse his mouth out. As the guy spat out the mouth rinse he followed the stream with his finger to stick it in his mouth. He eventually had both knees on the guy's chest heaving away trying to pull out his tooth and ended up with a full set. Hilarious.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
He had suffered with dementia for the last few years so at least that is now over for him. His death is a very sad loss to all who remember him from his films and play roles. As others have said, he was a natural talent and sought nothing more than to bring laughter to all he met.

RIP

bobg

Über Member
Homeless and begging for food on the streets of London aged 14..., Joined the army as a band boy and was always grateful for what that gave him.

Bless you Norman,

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I for one have been called after the great man many many times "what's your name? ... Norman ... Oh Norman Wisdom you look and act like him too!" 

RIP Sir Norman a true legend of British comedy

postman

Legendary Member
A genius .We all laughed with him .We stood by him as the little man against the world .

I saw a documentary a few months back .Where he visited a Nursing Home .It could have been the one he finally stayed at .

He entertained the old dears .He loved it and so did they .The camera caught a glimpse of Norman he smiled and winked .

He was where he wanted to be .Amongst people of his own age and who knew of him .I bet he had a great time in there .

R.I.P. Sir Norman, a giant of a Gentleman .

Alternatively, he was a difficult, self-obsessed old git who refused to pay for the services of the less famous professionals whose services he used (and abused).

Not that my grandfather had an axe to grind. Oh no.

f

A national treasure.

I still remember from years back an interview with him where he talked about his early years which he recalled without bitterness or resentment the hardship he experienced, he once walked from London to Wales with no food or money because he heard there may be a chance of getting work there.

Midnight

R.I.P Sir Norman.

A true legend from another era who'll be sadly missed.

I still remember the fun I got from watching his films as a young lad at the local saturday morning matinees, a favourite amongst people of all ages.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Me and Mickey Stratton used to wait in breathless anticipation for the next film to be released. I loved them but they were certainly of a time and the style of innocence wouldn't be popular now, rather like George Formby.

As an aside, I couldn't bear Michael Crawford who someone compared with NW.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I love Norman Wisdom fillums etc... he used to do voluntary work with a theatre up here in Newcaslte, and a friend who worked at the theatre promised to invite me for tea with Sir Norm one day... it never happened, sadly, I'd have been really happy to meet him.

Top Bottom