RIP Surly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The whole point of Surly is that they are not "special" bikes, they are reasonably good quality workaday do it all bikes that weigh as much as they need to and not much more.
QBP are to be congratulated on spotting a sizable gap in the marketplace and filling it.
The former reasonable price may be just history now as everything is getting more expensive.
Yeahbut they are promoting them as special otherwise why would you buy them? What they have done is lift themseles above the mass of Far Eastern made makes by clever marketing and labelling. At the end of the day a Taiwanese steel frame is Taiwanese steel frame. What they've done is separated themselves from that and it's worked judging by their popularity.
They now seem to trying to further establish the brand by offering Surly hip flasks and other paraphernalia, much as Brompton has done. Expect to see a clothing line soon.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yeahbut they are promoting them as special otherwise why would you buy them? What they have done is lift themseles above the mass of Far Eastern made makes by clever marketing and labelling. At the end of the day a Taiwanese steel frame is Taiwanese steel frame. What they've done is separated themselves from that and it's worked judging by their popularity.
They now seem to trying to further establish the brand by offering Surly hip flasks and other paraphernalia, much as Brompton has done. Expect to see a clothing line soon.
They have a clothing line.

Surly is cool.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
......and the marketing clearly works. Spa don't have a brand image of if they do it's rather mundane. Some customers are prepared to pay a premium for what they perceive is "cool".

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I seem to remember a long conversation about 18 months ago where I was looking for a tourer, I had a Surly LHT in mind (based on reputation for toughness and adaptability for carrying kit), and interestingly a certain Mr @Blue Hills was very involved in that whole discussion... that one ran and ran for a bit! I ended up with a Genesis largely because it already came fully equipped with racks, cages etc, at the same price the base Long Haul Trucker came in at. The Spa was a close second, the Surly came third.

I think LHTs look odd, something about the wheel size, frame shape, or is it the long chainstays? Not sure, just odd. On the other hand, one member here (@ozboz perhaps?) had an orange Surly Cross Check a while back and that thing was gorgeous.

Have they sold out and are now becoming a "brand"? Possibly. They were never particularly cheap though, let's face it.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I seem to remember a long conversation about 18 months ago where I was looking for a tourer, I had a Surly LHT in mind (based on reputation for toughness and adaptability for carrying kit), and interestingly a certain Mr @Blue Hills was very involved in that whole discussion...
Don't remenber -not sure if there is any significance in your ... dot dot dot, did I advise something bonkers?
Have they sold out and are now becoming a "brand"? Possibly. They were never particularly cheap though, let's face it.
Not cheap exactly, but good solid value. I almost bought one, but was put off by their move to 10 speed on the standard build. I was after 26 inch wheels - bought a Ridgeback Expedition instead - far better value and am delighted with that. That Surly would have cost somewhere around a grand then I think - I know someone who bought one recently and it was getting on for two..

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I quite like the whole Surly vibe, but I'm not sure I like it enough enough to pay 50% more than Spa Cycle's comparable efforts.
yep I was thinking of spa in the back of my mind.
Surly's price rises have been most evident from the Spa webstore over the years as they diverge from the other offerings.
Surlys also used to be sold a lot by the old Brixton Cycles Co-Op.
Praps Spa is next - Yorkshire does have very effective PR.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I have a Surly Steamroller, I bought the frame and built it up myself ( I was not impressed with surlys ready built spec and price ) I really like it , I don't care what some of you think about Surly‘s , so there Na :boxing:............:laugh:

I've got a Pacer, I expect I'll have it forever (I'm not going to break it). Got a good price on it built up as the LBS couldn't shift it- was built with a triple chainset when they were getting unpopular. Pretty heavy, also could do with more clearance to allow for mudguards and fatter tyres. Mine you can have one or the other. Finish is disappointing, esp. the plastic headbadge that came unstuck and fell off immediately.

Didn't really go for the brand though, it fitted what I wanted at the time and the price was right.

My LBS closed down :sad:. Now I sometimes go to Cycles UK- I guess that's my LBS now, but it's not as 'L'. I took it in once, they loved it in there- I've no idea why. I felt like giving it to them.
palinurus if you’re now closed LBS was the one at the end of Market street , my steamroller frame came from the same shop .

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have a Surly Steamroller, I bought the frame and built it up myself ( I was not impressed with surlys ready built spec and price ) I really like it , I don't care what some of you think about Surly‘s , so there Na :boxing:............:laugh:
I don't think anyone is saying that there is anything wrong with the frames at all.
I think you maybe got your frame before the price boosting.
Interesting that you didn't like the ready built spec either (me too - see above) - this also suggests to me that they are not as down to earth and sensible as they like to portray themselves in their image-making. If they were really into down to earth sensible choices I see no reason why they would move an expedition bike from 9 to 10 speed. My Ridgeback was far better specced/thought out.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
......and the marketing clearly works. Spa don't have a brand image of if they do it's rather mundane.

I would suggest Spa actually has an anti-brand image, in that they tend to appeal to hard to impress, grumpy traditionalist steel tourer fans who actively dislike marketing and anything flash. If I was in the market for a proper steel bike or I want some no-nonsense transmission components, then the likes of Spa would be the first place I would look.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I would suggest Spa actually has an anti-brand image, in that they tend to appeal to hard to impress, grumpy traditionalist steel tourer fans who actively dislike marketing and anything flash. If I was in the market for a proper steel bike or I want some no-nonsense transmission components, then the likes of Spa would be the first place I would look.
everything is marketable skipdiver.
Including "anti brand" and grumpy yorkshireness (such is their reputation - not saying it's deserved).
Some folk would pay premium premium prices for that "vibe" to show how down to earth they are.
I just pray that it doesn't happen to Spa (who I bought some sensible bits from the other day).
If Spa do go down that road, the next thing I will expect is your launch of an exciting range of skipdiver bikes for the discerning metropolitan urbanista.
Get in touch if you want some PR.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I can see a franchise opportunity. Yellow skip bike shops popping up at the urban kerb and rural roadside nationwide. Reclaimed windows and old timbers for lids. Stocked with scrap bikes purchased by stuffing used notes into a welded up honesty box. Pay what you like. No guarantees. A few Sheldon leaflets lying about the skip floor to help novices with diy.
Skip Divas.
And merch. Lots of merch. Skip Divas work gloves, mismatched. For winter riding. (Old scaffolders rigger gloves repurposed from off the road). Skip Diva hipflasks (well, old bean tins lovingly recrafted with a soldering iron and a sticky label.). Skip Diva SnapBack trucker hats with embroidered logo, made by a Peruvian ladies darning collective from hats donated. Actual South American trucker sweat and grease left on the hat for that authentic Skip Diva aroma)
Sadly, I fear this might be a real winner. The Surly fanboys and fan girls would abandon Surly in their droves. For the Skip Diva range.
The Stig. A single speed dumpster cruiser made of pig iron and leather belts
The Shitflicker. Fast, agile five speed aero -scrap of brazed up Reynolds 531 and bits off old Venetian blinds.
The E-Freegan Utility. Old copper plumbing meets vacuum cleaner motors in this slow, stately load lugger. Almost silent, will not alert urban foxes or supermarket security cameras. The bin-divers getaway.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I have a Surly Steamroller, I bought the frame and built it up myself ( I was not impressed with surlys ready built spec and price ) I really like it , I don't care what some of you think about Surly‘s , so there Na :boxing:............:laugh: View attachment 591192

palinurus if you’re now closed LBS was the one at the end of Market street , my steamroller frame came from the same shop .

That's the one. Bought a few bikes from there. Still got four wheels in use that were built there.

Top Bottom