RIP Willie Thorne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Snooker player Willie Thorne (66) has died in Spain from leukaemia.

I was fortunate to play a frame against him at Reading police station when the Hexagon was abandoned after a bomb scare. All the top players of the day retired to the police station, where we had 2 snooker tables in the bar. John Virgo also did his imitation of famous players act. That was great because thay were all there to watch.
Willie was a true gentleman and a wonderful ambassador for snooker.
RIP

I knew him many years ago. I worked for a bank and he had an account with us.
A lot of questions went unanswered....

matiz

Guru
He had the talent to win the world title but he massively underachieved probably because of his gambling obsession,but he seemed a decent sort of bloke . R.I.P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Snooker player Willie Thorne (66) has died in Spain from leukaemia.

I was fortunate to play a frame against him at Reading police station when the Hexagon was abandoned after a bomb scare. All the top players of the day retired to the police station, where we had 2 snooker tables in the bar. John Virgo also did his imitation of famous players act. That was great because thay were all there to watch.
Willie was a true gentleman and a wonderful ambassador for snooker.
RIP

Did you win ?

stephec

Legendary Member
He made a really good double act in the commentary box with Virgo, they seemed to be able to explain the reasons behind the shots being played in a way that was entertaining to experienced viewers, but still educated people with little knowledge of the game.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
One of the best known players when the game was at it's most popular in the 1980s. By all accounts a much better player than his match form suggests.
Two world championships QFs is pretty average for such a well known player. Plenty of Almost unknown players have far better records.
But he scored plenty of 147s in the practice rooms.

He has scored 198 maximum breaks with 33 of them being against Gary Lineker.

As with the daily virus statistics you can interpret that in any way that suits your agenda.

13 rider

Guru
Born in my village used to see him about when his mum was alive when he visited you knew his car reg A147 PRO .Always had time for people . Knew his brother quite well through the local fishing club

Top Bottom