England : Cheshire Rise Above Sportive 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Subotai72

The 2016 edition of Mark Cavendish's Rise Above Sportive is now open applicants.

Did the short route last year for my first sportive and really enjoyed it. It was really well organised, a good atmosphere both pre- and post-ride and the route was pretty challenging. Well for me it was. Signed up again for the short route as I won't to be able to physically pick my post-ride pint up! Having said that the short route doesn't look as tough as last year, less elevation.

http://riseabovesportive.com/

I really don't like sportives ( with the exception of one ), I really don't like Mark Cavendish, Ahm oot.

Rallybiker

Rule #85
I did the big one last year and won't bother again. Totally disorganised and limited feeds, resulting in time consuming queues of over a 100 riders. Then on finishing the event herded like cattle through a tent 'shopping mall' selling stuff that should be freebies. No thanks, I'll be up Hawick the week before instead to do the Ken Laidlaw, spectacular views and humungous amounts of food at the village hall feed stops.

G3CWI

Veteran
IMG_4792.JPG

Rise Above Sportive 2016 report: 80 km course. Rode with relative visiting from Singapore. First sportive for me.

We registered on the Saturday. There were no queues, plenty of desks and an SIS stand handing out free products. I have never tried gels and the SIS chap said that a big ride was not the place to start. He seemed bemused that I would set off with biscuits and a banana and gave me a lecture on carbohydrates.

The 80 km event started was between 9 am and 10 am. I was unsure what to expect so we turned up at 0930. I was surprised to find no other riders there. There were plenty of staff who gave a safety briefing. After waiting a while a couple turned up on a tandem and two other cyclists turned up. Amazingly there was a crowd to see us off - surely someone was paying them? They clapped and cheered as we careered down the hill towards the bridge. The traffic lights were red and I was uncertain if this was part of the closed-road or not. If not, I am now an RLJ (sorry folks).

I set off a bit quicker than the rest of the group and never saw them again. In fact I never saw anyone riding the ride for a good 6 miles and only after 20 miles were there there bigger groups. I had not expected mile after mile on my own.

I was surprised not to find the major junctions marshalled, having seen them marshalled for events round home. The signage was good; I did nearly miss one turn but that was my fault and resulted in me taking a corner rather more flamboyantly than normal, to the possible amusement of some spectators.

The feed station was about 2/3rd of the way round and what a disappointment it was. SIS were there and I put a sachet of something in my drink bottle. Unfortunately it tasted like medicine of some sort (EPO?). The only real food on offer was popcorn and doritos (really; I am not making this up). I declined them and ate my biscuits and banana while waiting for my relative to catch up. If I ever did another sportive on my own I would miss out the feed station. I didn't need a rest and it just wasted a load of time.

The ride back into Chester was much more fun as there were many more people on the road to overtake. The final approach was especially good as I teamed up with someone to really push the pace. The finish line was like a pro race with tannoy and a large crowd lining the barriers. I even got a call-out on the tannoy. Unfortunately it was not possible to soak up the atmosphere as you had to go immediately to the finish "village". This was a number of gazebos in the registration carpark. There I was given a medal (actually quite a nice one) and a soigneurs bag. This was not packed with goodies as I expected but was completely empty, not even a discount form for next year (marketing fail). I gave the bag to my relative as I cant see much use for such a bag in everyday life. I was given a bottle of water too.

The beefburgers in the village were free (and were good too). I saw no other freebies (no such thing of course).The atmosphere was good and there was a promo podium that you could use for a photo. No doubt someone will tell me that I missed a load of stuff. I was kind of hoping to get a water bottle, or even a bidon.

No sign of Mr Cavendish but he was there at some point as he was on the local news. It would have been nice to catch a glimpse but he's only a little chap and he can't be everywhere at once.

So that was it. I am £39 poorer (actually more like £400 poorer with hotels and train fares for both of us).

I would never normally bother with such an event and it was only because I have a cycling visitor that I went.
Did I enjoy it? Yes, it was okay. Would I try another sportive? Unlikely.

I think my relative enjoyed it - and that was, after all, the main reason for doing it.

PS my sneaky trick of riding the course a few weeks before the event paid off with a whole string of PB's on Strava, nice!

Last edited:

ukbikes

This was my favourite Sportive of this year. Really well organised and a lovely route. I'd never ridden up Horseshoe Pass before and it's certainly one of the highlights of the route, along with the beautiful scenery.

Top Bottom