England : Cheshire Rise Above Sportive - August 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Cycled round the 2016 80 km/55 mile route today for a recce ready for August. Seems okay. Nothing steep. I suppose that's to be expected for the entry-level category. I might try it again to get some better times. I took it easy today as the day out included 26 miles more cycling due to the logistics.

Having never done one of these things I wonder if it's actually worth stopping for the food stations? I suppose I might need to top up with water but 80 km is not really all that far... Do they usually supply real food (like meat pies and cake) or is it all synthetic cr*p in sachets?

I also seem to recall that some events have time categories gold-silver-bronze-rubbish. Did Rise Above have them last year?

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a thread about last year's here

Feed stations vary from event to event. Worst case will be unripe banana halves, best case lots of cake. Gels too if you want. Which you don't.

But there may be big queues, so take your own. Stick a couple of pork pies in your pockets. More troublesome is queuing for water refills. There's a complaint about that in last year's thread.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
The feed stations were the biggest let down of last years. You should be ok getting around the short one with 2 full bottles and some sensible food in your pockets. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

ukbikes

I agree, the feed stations were awful but disagree that you should miss them, just take your own food.

Top Bottom