Riverside 500 or 900?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slurpy2k20

Hi,

So this is my inaugural post on this forum ;)

Haven't biked in a few years, and wanting to start again, as well as my wife. Nothing crazy, weekend rides through the city/parks/trails, etc. Decided to go for a hybrid for general flexibility, and narrowed it down to these 2, as they seem to be a generally good value for what they provide, and I can get them locally. I checked them out both in person. I'm just struggling with whether to go for the 500 or 900, and whether cost difference is justified (I'd be buying 2). From online reviews, it seems like the 500 doesn't have great tyres and lots of people have gotten punctures very quickly. 900 has different tyres, and besides that seems to be differences in the brake type, gear selector, and not much else.

Do you guys recommend getting the 500 and maybe swapping out the tyres, or just going for the 900? Do the tyres on that model look decent? I know the 920 is even better, but cannot find any locally. Thank you in advance, any insight or advice is appreciated!

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/hybrid-...b6bac8e4e91553303e518c869541&objectID=2392403

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/hybrid-...modelsize-200m/38062-demodelundefined-8577823

PS- I realized I should have posted this to the "what bike forum", mods can feel free to move. I apologize, did not see that one at first.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
:welcome:Looking at where you plan to ride, do you really need suspension?
If you do then the 900 would be my choice, as well as a better specced bike the suspension fork can be locked out, it looks as though the 500 doesn’t have the option.
I think I’d be looking at one of the Decathlon models with rigid forks.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
900 - if you can afford - the hydraulic vs manual disc brakes is a significant upgrade, as is the ability to lock the fork out on smooth ground so all you pedalling effort shifts you forwards not bouncing up and down!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

The 900 would be better with the hydraulic brakes. All OE tyres on bikes at this price point are generally poor so no advantage there. Look to better puncture proof ones when it comes to replacement time.
As above you really don’t need the suspension fork, try to find one without, it’ll save some money or get you better components.

Midsrider

100% go for the 900 out of the 2. The build is better all round with the lock off, tyres, etc etc. The price difference is worth it.

Myself personally - here the UK the price of the decathlon bikes is not far off what I paid (just £40 difference, just a few weeks ago) than my Dual Sport 2 by Trek and there are bikes by Giant etc that are not far from that price either.

But if you do not require suspension then as Cycleops has said, the money saved could go towards a better bike.

I recommended the Trek FX2/3 to some friends recently and they have bought them and they are just loving using them and the Trek FX2 is cheaper than the Riverside 900 too.

But again, the 900 from the 2 would be my choice.

OP
OP
S

slurpy2k20

Thank you everyone for the responses! Ended up going for the 900, just picked one up today, so these responses are reassuring. Probably don't really NEED suspension, but why not, haven't seen another in the price range that I really liked. Also yes, forgot to mention the lockout, which I think will be useful.

Thanks again and will pop back in if any Qs :smile:

Top Bottom