RLJ cyclist. Why risk it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
2111427 said:
I occasionally engage in a spot of commuter racing with another cyclist who will always eventually jump a light to settle it. I have on occasion found myself wondering about the extent to which I would feel responsible if it ends badly for him.

IMO - none whatsoever.

You are responsible for your actions, you are not vicariously responsible for the actions of some twunt that won't obey 'simple' traffic rules.

Red - Stop
Amber and Red - Prepare to go.
Green - Go if clear and safe to do so.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
2111433 said:
I'm not so sure. Experience has shown me that, if I engage, the RLJ will almost certainly result. The intelligent response for me is not to play.

Sadly, a certain gentleman called Charles Darwin has a posthumous award for those idiots that won't stop.

I stand by my opinion - you are not responsible for the actions of others.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I wasn't actually racing with the guy. His average speed just happens to be 5mph below mine. I'm not going to slow and hang behind a slower rider just in case he takes offence and decides to risk life and limb to stay in front.

I regularly have a nice fast ride on the way home with a chap who goes the same way as me for over 5 miles. When I rode a road bike it would be pretty close all the way, but we both stopped at reds, and had the odd conversation. Now I'm on a faster machine, I sometimes slow for a bit so we can have a chat.

400bhp

Guru
Sadly, a certain gentleman called Charles Darwin has a posthumous award for those idiots that won't stop.

I stand by my opinion - you are not responsible for the actions of others.

It's not that simple though - you are responsible in some capacity.

People are complex and sometimes rational people do irrational things. This irrational behavious can be triggered by all manner of things.

I think Adrian is partially right and tells he has a conscience.:smile:

400bhp

Guru
To the OP - you will never know if the guy jumped the red because of you. He might just be a serial RLJ.

AndyPeace

2111427 said:
I occasionally engage in a spot of commuter racing with another cyclist who will always eventually jump a light to settle it. I have on occasion found myself wondering about the extent to which I would feel responsible if it ends badly for him.

It's the poor motorist who would have the brunt of the guilt, living with the knowledge that they'd killed someone has got to burn a soul even if it wasn't there fault. As for your responsibility, I'm assuming you know the guy and he dosen't jump red's when not in 'competition' with you?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

People are complex and sometimes rational people do irrational things. This irrational behavious can be triggered by all manner of things.

Pardon my French (again), but like hell am I responsible if someone (I don't know from Adam) overtakes me on a road and runs a red light (to keep in front of me)

I have a conscience, but it doesn't extend to the point of vicariously accepting responsibility for cretins that can't work out a simple 3 phase traffic light system.

400bhp

Guru
But you say I should, so care to explain how/why?

Overtaking someone - of course not.

Engaging in some kind of perceived race, then possibly yes.

It's of course difficult to distinguish between the 2. Adrian implied he was SCR so, in my mind, that would mean he and the other guy were aware of what was going on and that the SCR had been going on for a little while.

As I have already said, people do irrational things, more so when the blood is pumping. If you start with that presumption then you might stay clear of getting involved.

AndyPeace

2112291 said:
I don't know the man at all, other than recognising him, his bike, and his competitive instincts.

Hmmm..Although I often deny it , I have those sort of instincts, If someone passes me I want to go that fast and faster. After all I'm on a bike too :smile: But I'd never run a red light, I have respect for the rules of the road . What your saying feels a bit like your responsible for his actions in the same way some people are responsible for 'making people steal' by owning nice things? I think if it was me, I would feel guilt, but I'm saying you shouldn't.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

so anyone that hurts or kills themself chasing a strava segment is the responsibility in some capacity of anyone else on that segment faster than them and Strava (or whatever other comparative system) for giving them the means of finding out?

Top Bottom