RLJ - hypothetical question

Inthis scenario, what would you do?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

small fish

I pass 2 pelican and 2 toucan crossings on my route.

The pelicans both change almost as soon as a ped pushes the button, have a quickish green man bit then the orange flashing bit - and i ALWAYS stop until orange flash and no peds.

The toucans keep pedestrians waiting so long they've usually managed to cross before the traffic is stopped, then they stay red for ages. I always halt at these to check it's clear and never RLJ if there's somone on or near the crossing. But if there's no-one around i will pause then go through the red.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'd be a little wary in this situation. Last week 5 teenagers pressed the button at a Pelican crossing as I was approaching, they loitered by the side of the road as I was slowing to halt - then one of them moved forward and squirted me in the face with (hopefully) water and they all sprinted away!

As it was a hot day and I was doing about 5mph, I was not too fussed, but it's worth staying alert in these situtions as they are not always as benign as they seem to be...

U

User482

Cab said:
In the absence of side roads, of hidden entrances, and surprising places for pedestrians to jump out of, crossings are quite rare. So... In the perfect scenario outlined above I'd tentatively go through the red light, and no court in the land would give a monkeys about it.

In reality, I can't think of this perfect scenario on any road I regularly use.

I agree with this. There must be very few examples where you could be 100% sure that an unseen ped couldn't suddenly dash across.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Disgruntled Goat said:
How do you know they have no intention to cross? That is an assumption on your part.

"hit the lights button as they pass" Its not a real situation, its a fictitious scenario.

In this scenario they make it obvious they have no intention to use the crossing, merely to activate it.

So I'm not making an assumption, just setting parameters

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
User482 said:
I agree with this. There must be very few examples where you could be 100% sure that an unseen ped couldn't suddenly dash across.

So there are circumstances where you would RLJ?

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:

[profound]Can we ever be one hundred percent sure of anything?[/profound]

theclaud

Openly Marxist
So, Gambatte, why so cagey in your own answer then?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
User482 said:

Expanding the scenario. 10' pavements alongside open parkland, obviously no other peds clear views for 100m all around.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
theclaud said:
So, Gambatte, why so cagey in your own answer then?

I say I don't RLJ and urban RLJing does 'get my goat' (sorry 'disgruntled').

However, in the scenario I envisaged I can see myself going thro'

I'm slightly uncomfortable in the hypocrisy :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
gambatte said:
Expanding the scenario. 10' pavements alongside open parkland, obviously no other peds clear views for 100m all around.

I need to know if there's a loonie law enforcing sniper in a lookout tower 100 yards away:evil:

Origamist

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
I wouldn't even slow down in the situation you describe.

At the higher speed you were travelling at, and with liquid still being squirted into your face/eyes, the greater the potential for more serious injury.

gambatte said:

You should go the whole hog...

Pedestrian traffic signal on trans-Siberian road, far far out in the wilderness. The plains are so flat that you can see for miles and miles all around. It is a balmy day today with temperatures reaching the dizzy heights of +4C so unusually there is little risk of ice on the road. The road, unusually for this region is in tip top condition with a special surface applied that reduces the risk of skidding. The traffic lights have been green for 4 months now, but as you approach the lights a pesky group of school kids, who just happen to be passing the area on a field trip, decide to press the crossing button. It is obvious that they do not want to cross because they are obviously heading to the only nearby town (50 miles away) for a can of coca cola. They are on the correct side of the road to get their coca cola. The children after pressing the cross button have now picked up some big looking rocks and a gesturing to each other about hitting the cyclist over the head with said rocks when he stops.

Question: do you run this red light or do you stop?

Hows that?

Top Bottom