RLJ or no RLJ ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

brokenbetty said:
Really? You'll have to point me towards some examples of this stupid idea. I've never seen anyone suggest a cyclist should wait at a light rather than walk their bike on the pavement.

I've seen lots of people assert that a cyclist should wait at a light rather than jump it or ride on the pavement, but that's completely different, isn't it?

WizardScarCrowClose.jpg

hooked.gif

brokenbetty

Über Member
jimboalee said:

Just a troll then? That explains you.

jimboalee

It was a non-question.

Of course the cyclist stops at the red.

Try asking the OP... WHY are you asking this?

Wasting time and effort ( or trying to start an argument ) when you should know the laws of the road!

A stupid question deserves a stupid answer...

And thanks BrokenBetty for your minds-eye of me ( Scarecrow ).
So who's the TROLL ???

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
No jimbo- she might be referring to you as a straw man.

I wouldn't see the need to RLJ this junction, I can think of a few similar junctions whether I am turning L or going straight that certain advance thinking and communication with other road users would be essential - ie road position, not indicating if safest to do so as sometimes cars will turn into you and making eye contact with drivers.

There's been some useful debate so far on this thread

jimboalee

hackbike 666 said:
I just thought the OP was asking for justification to not stop at the lights.

I may have got the wrong jist though.

The OP was repeating a subject that has been argued about before, as a 'Saturday afternoon boredom killer'.

Fall for it at your peril.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
hackbike 666 said:
I don't think I have ever wheeled my bike through traffic lights just because I can't be patient and wait for a change.

There's a set of lights with upto a 7 minute double sequence. I've done what jimbo says sometimes when this starts to happen and people do get angry. I'm afraid it's once again in brokenbetty's imagination. It's a useful tactic to have very occasionally.

brokenbetty

Über Member
marinyork said:
There's a set of lights with upto a 7 minute double sequence. I've done what jimbo says sometimes when this starts to happen and people do get angry. I'm afraid it's once again in brokenbetty's imagination.

I've seen people do this and never seen anyone get angry. Maybe it's a York thing.

Though as Hackbike says most people don't bother as it's usually less hassle to wait.

jimboalee

OP can do as he pleases. He doesn't need our blessing.

As he has demonstrated by his original post, he has a mind of his own. So if he put that active mind to good use when approaching these traffic signals, he should be able to assess the situation and do what he thinks is safest and least obstuctive to other roadusers and pedestrians.

But if he chooses to RLJ and PC Plod is watching, that's OP's problem.

I remember on a DIY 100, PC Plod in an unmarked car instructed me through a red light similar to this one. He must have been late for lunch, cus he drove through it behind me.

marinyork said:
There's a set of lights with upto a 7 minute double sequence. I've done what jimbo says sometimes when this starts to happen and people do get angry. I'm afraid it's once again in brokenbetty's imagination. It's a useful tactic to have very occasionally.

Hmmmmm just had this recent at the 2012 site lights locked at red.So we waited there for 5 minutes and nothing.So the 6 cars behind me jumped it and I followed them...so I am guilty as charged.:biggrin::blush:

marinyork

It depends on the danger at that location/benefits. If the junction was totally flat in this instance then it'd be a lot clearer. If it's a fairly steep hill T junction and/or with a camber I can understand some of the thoughts of the OP. I know a few T junctions myself that have fairly evil cambers/lead ins if you're wanting to get going from dead stop.

marinyork

hackbike 666 said:
Hmmmmm just had this recent at the 2012 site lights locked at red.So we waited there for 5 minutes and nothing.So the 6 cars behind me jumped it and I followed them...so I am guilty as charged.:biggrin::blush:

Well that does happen. The set of lights I'm talking about are meant to do that lengthy sequence, it isn't a mistake, it's just bad luck.

I've had it happen elsewhere when I've been driving and not jumped them and after the third sequence someone up the road triggered the change off. The other noticeable thing is that one of the sets of lights on my training route they change the sequence some evenings so you have to wait about twice as long, again this isn't a mistake. Cars unfortunately don't think like this and jump them with very close shaves, it's where I've seen several families nearly polished off in cars as they missed other cars by inches.

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
jimboalee said:
Try asking the OP... WHY are you asking this?

ttcycle said:

There's been some useful debate so far on this thread

this is exactly why i asked the question. i wanted to get opinions and i wanted a sensible and honest debate.

in truth, no i don't have a problem with this junction but i felt that this type of situation probably happened all over the country and wanted to discuss it.
again i would raise the point that the junction is at the bottom of a hill, a good reason for some not to want to stop, and the clear section of road would be a big temptation for some to RLJ.

with the clear cut, and perfectly understandable, attitude of most on here that its "red=stop, green=go" i just wanted to put forward an occasion where some may be tempted (and see what they said)

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
to be honest i expected more people to say, "yeah, OK in that situation i would slowly sneak around the corner"

so far very few people have said that.

what will i do in the future ? well OK, maybe i was looking for a little justification to sneak by, didn't get any though did i :headshake:

the clipping in bit is not a problem, yes you can ride with one leg with clip-less pedals, the one time when you probably do actually pull on the up stroke. the indicating and turning can be a pain but not a problem.

will i RLJ the junction in the future ???.....

well maybe if it's peeing down with rain one night i may be tempted... there... i said it :rolleyes:

GrasB

Veteran
What I do is one attempt to clip in on the off stroke, 99% hit rate, if I miss I just re-seat me foot so that I just pushing down with that leg without clipping in, the clipped in leg does need to do a little more work to keep the pedal motion going but it's nothing you're not used to if you ride a fixie

Top Bottom