RLJ'ers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Once again youve stunningly missed the point.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yup and that confirms your selfish opinion, in regard to other cyclists as it is the drivers view that puts all our lives at risk.

We've already shown how cyclecraft, and my riding for that matter, is not selfish. Perhaps you can give over now, you lost that point comprehensively some pages back on this topic. How about your riding and approach? Is it safe and sharing of the road?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So why ask for it in the first place? Work with me here, Mike, I'm sure there's some profound insight you're attempting to convey

If you want your point about legality to be valid, then you'll have to show that someone was fined for wrongly entering an ASL. Can't do it, then go back to playing with your keyboards. KTHXBAI.

lukesdad

It's a reasonable argument but the fault is not with cyclecraft or the cyclists following it, it's with the drivers who don't understand why and assume it must be antagonistic. The same could be said about riding two abreast, filtering (aka "queue jumping"), or just about any other cycle-specific maneouvre that the driver doesn't understand, and it's with the driver for assuming the cyclist is reckless/selfish, not with the cyclist for riding in a way that could be misinterpreted as such. You might, from self-preservation, wish to avoid provoking drivers int he same way as you might wish to avoid walking alone at night through rough areas, but if you don't and if they take "revenge", it is quite definitely them to blame and not you.

tl;dr "he brought it on himself"/"she was asking for it" is not an excuse for retaliatory bad behaviour, and doubly so when the victim was doing it (whatever "it" is) for a perfectly good reason
At last !

lukesdad

We've already shown how cyclecraft, and my riding for that matter, is not selfish. Perhaps you can give over now, you lost that point comprehensively some pages back on this topic. How about your riding and approach? Is it safe and sharing of the road?

Shown to who ? The millions of motorists out there ? Why should I give over? Sorry Im not towing the party line am I spoiling your manifesto ?

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you want your point about legality to be valid, then you'll have to show that someone was fined for wrongly entering an ASL. Can't do it, then go back to playing with your keyboards.
Er, no. The law exists whether it's enforced or not. I have quoted the relevant legislation: you can check for yourself if you doubt my word, but you do not need a case report to confirm that it's a real law.

If your position is that a law only really "counts" if someone's enforcing it, then fair enough (but you could have said that in the first place). But then what do you do when enforcement priorities change? How about, for example, pavement cycling? At some places and times the official guidance has been that penalties should only be applied to "inconsiderate" pavement cyclists, at other times and in other places PCSOs are standing on deserted pavements that bypass gyratories expressly to catch cyclists. Do you change your view of whether something is wrong based on how likely you are to get caught doing it?

Your mastery of ten-year-old internet memes is impressive as always. Would you like to include a picture of a kitten with a speech bubble in your next post?

subaqua

What’s the point
It is/was! :biggrin:

I do that too - had too many instances of motorists thinking they can get through a gap that's not there and squeezing me into the curb / which is as dangerous as RLJ'ing - I do it as a personal safety thing!

I got abuse for keeping primary through pinch points. I got abuse in comments on one of my videos for keeping primary so i didn't get doored.

screw em. screw all RLJers who think its their right to do it. but don't come running to us when you get knocked off and break both your legs ( see what i did there ) :tongue: . you keep taking the risk to gain 5 or 10 seconds and keep giving a lot of drivers the ammunition they want.

do i go into ASLs across the whit eline- no as if i cant enter it I filter as far forward as I can . if i get delayed a little longer then so what .

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I got abuse for keeping primary through pinch points. I got abuse in comments on one of my videos for keeping primary so i didn't get doored.
There are people on here who play devils advocate just for the sake of winding other people up. Ignore them. Your safety is more important and anyones life is worth more than a couple of seconds of motorists time.

Midnight

I hate RLJers.

I saw one yesterday who decided to lunge across a junction just as cross-traffic was moving off. He came within a foot of being squished. Even if it can be done without incident, it encourages other, less-confident cyclists to do the same, and perpetuates the myth that all cyclists are lycra louts.

I think shooting them is a bit extreme though. Some people have no sense of proportion. Cut their bits off with a rusty billhook, maybe... but don't shoot 'em. :evil:

Top Bottom