RLJing buddy wants to cycle-commute... what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
If he's a good friend you can tell him and he'll stay a good friend. That's what friends are for. He might not change, but at least you've done your bit and told him. You're only conceredn for his safety, after all, and by the sounds of it rightly so. If he takes offence and doesn't want to be your friend any more after you tell him then he's not really that good a friend.

Sam

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Pull together some vids on YouTube which highlight the possible problems with what he's doing (an RLJer crashing / causing problems for other road users, my undertaking one with the bus, the close bus pass by the cyclist riding between the double reds somewhere in London etc.) then say that with his current skills you don't feel comfortable riding with him. If he can address your concerns then you'd be happy to accompany him... if he doesn't take this on board then you simply don't ride with him. If he takes this as a personal insult then clearly he's not a full shilling and you need a new friend!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Tell him, or if you think this will be problematic.

Just ride with him, and when he runs a red, dont follow him, he will soon realise he is now commuting alone. When he questions why you stopped, then tell him why.

Then he may begin to stop at reds, and you can use similar techniques to ween him off some of his other habits. When he filters dangerously, dont follow, he will again be riding alone.

Mike!

Guru
Does he drive? I always find it shocking when someone who drives and really should have more road sence does this!

mr Mag00

rising member
get him on a bikeability course! :smile: no seriously!

martint235

Dog on a bike
ianrauk said:
Andy,
is it worth getting him out on a Bromley Massive Sunday Ride?
He may find it unsocial to do those type of things amongst a few others.
And I am sure a few of us will point out his errant ways.

Yup Sunday ride should do the trick, particularly with the RLJing :smile:

Lots of good ideas. Especially video it; don't follow RLJs; and bikeability course.

Of course, you could invest in an oversized HPX and administer percussive advice as appropriate.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Set a good example and he might learn by it (people do).

Also, it could be a factor that 'these are his first rides for a year'. I do remember I seemed to have more friction with other road users - and more 'incidents' - in the first few weeks of taking up cycling again after years away. After a few months things started going a lot more smoothly. I think you just develop a feel for things - getting ready to be in the right gear and the like - and that extends to stuff like road positioning and being aware of other road users.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone above...but this *could* be a problem that fixes itself with time...and a few gently nudges in the right direction.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Thanks all for the feedback so far. I'll try to get him on a Sunday ride, though suspect it mightn't be for a couple of weeks. I tend to get out on Thursdays with him, so will give a go to all of the above (except for filming him, as still frames won't cut it, and the camcorder would be a little obvious :rolleyes:

For the record, I set a perfectly lovely example (careful filtering, no RLJs, etc) for which I was rewarded with "well, that was quicker than expected, and I reckon I'll be even quicker when I'm on my own and can go through gaps that you can't."

I know it matters to him to be fast. I will have a word. MistaPreston and Lupin have ridden with him too, so can probably testify whether its all in my head :biggrin: Is anyone available for a Thursday night ride?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
arallsopp said:
For the record, I set a perfectly lovely example (careful filtering, no RLJs, etc) for which I was rewarded with "well, that was quicker than expected, and I reckon I'll be even quicker when I'm on my own and can go through gaps that you can't."

LMAO!!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Tell him to take up TT'ing if he wants numbers to use as bragging rights. TT'ing your commute is idiocy, it will only lead to reckless manouveres and just a matter of time before sustaining some nasty injuries.

Just hope his 1st incident isnt too bad and that it serves as an expensive lesson and not a detrimental life changing event!

Top Bottom