RLJing buddy wants to cycle-commute... what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Even a gutter hugger is not to blame for a SMIDSY. They are on the road and (assuming they have lights and are using them if conditions dictate) should be visible to anyone actually looking properly. Further away from the gutter may have helped, but it certainly doesn't in any way shape or form make them to blame for it. Car driver at fault, entirely, IMO.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You're right, but it's entirely possible it was his fault, and more likely so given arallsop's description of his general riding and blaming of drivers. I'm certainly a little sceptical.

taxing

Even a gutter hugger is not to blame for a SMIDSY. They are on the road and (assuming they have lights and are using them if conditions dictate) should be visible to anyone actually looking properly. Further away from the gutter may have helped, but it certainly doesn't in any way shape or form make them to blame for it. Car driver at fault, entirely, IMO.

+1

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
You're right, but it's entirely possible it was his fault, and more likely so given arallsop's description of his general riding and blaming of drivers. I'm certainly a little sceptical.
I appreciate that he has.. shall we say, some rather less than spectacular skills on his bike (from the descriptions given)... but how can he be to blame for a SMIDSY (unless he has somehow ridden off the pavement at the last minute in front of the car as the driver started the turn)?

If the car hit his pannier it would appear that he was directly in front of it... how could he not be seen by someone who has any driving skill at all??

Yes, positioning was probably p*ss poor, but it still isn't his fault that the driver didn't bother to check properly/at all.

Maybe (as has been said) this might be a useful tool in teaching him some basic survival skills and to have respect for other road users as they can hurt him quite easily (i.e. no RLJing as it's for imbeciles only). :thumbsup:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, it might well be like that. I'm just (slightly) wondering whether it's quite so cut and dried as he told to Mr Arallsop. Perhaps the driver is far less to blame than it seems?

Arch

Married to Night Train
If the car hit his pannier it would appear that he was directly in front of it... how could he not be seen by someone who has any driving skill at all??

That was what I thought.

Unless he was indeed further out, and had time to stop or swerve, but chose instead to try and 'outrun' the car, and nearly made it but not quite.

I think this might be a case of someone getting away with acting the goat, and ending up being hit through no fault of their own...

I know we all know we have to think for all the dimwits out there, but failing to do so shouldn't be a cause for blame.

Top Bottom