RLJing cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
I agree with all your points.

its just sad that a lot of cyclists tar all drivers with the same brush and vice versa.

I like catching up with Cycling RLJers and asking them if the risk was worth it as I have caught them up.

I generally get a Eff off C

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like catching up with Cycling RLJers and asking them if the risk was worth it as I have caught them up.

It's as pointless as talking to drivers, in my experience. They don't care, and no one is willing to make them do so.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
yes god forbid the authorities prosecute a cyclist for RLJing or worse. thats similar to prosecuting Mother Theresa.

I'd certainly support an across the board "zero tolerance" approach to enforcing traffic law.

I feel slightly less sanguine about targeting cycling red light jumpers specifically - there are bigger fish to fry in road safety terms.

Jezston

Über Member
I'd certainly support an across the board "zero tolerance" approach to enforcing traffic law.

I feel slightly less sanguine about targeting cycling red light jumpers specifically - there are bigger fish to fry in road safety terms.

There have been threads on here before where other riders have noticed police crack downs on RLJing cyclists. The reaction has invariably been positive. Subaqua: you have some wrong ideas about what people on this forum think. The only negativity people here have given in their reactions has been when they've noticed police doing this whilst ignoring drivers on their phones.

subaqua, on 24 January 2011 - 11:48:14, said:blush: like catching up with Cycling RLJers and asking them if the risk was worth it as I have caught them up.

It's as pointless as talking to drivers, in my experience. They don't care, and no one is willing to make them do so.

I disagree with this actually.

Many people's immediate reaction to being criticised by someone lacking the authority to do so woudl be to react negatively and defensively. E.G. "Eff off C". But they'll think about it. They've been called out on something they think is fine, and now start thinking that maybe it isn't. It might not change their behaviour completely, but it will a little. It's certainly more positive than doing nothing. Unless that same person sees you doing something stupid later on!

An old flatmate of mine got told off my some old man for riding his bike in a pedestrian underpass (why he was riding there when the roundabout it crosses is really very mild and easily navigatable is another question) . He got home all furious about who the hell this old man thought he was, how he told that old man to eff off he should get out of the way. He then seemed to slow down his ranting as if saying out loud he was realising how ridiculous he was being. He never rode in that underpass again.

subaqua

What’s the point

Nobody wants specific groups targetted. an across the board approach is by far the better way. and education as the sentence, as i didlike the word punishment when you are trying to teach people something.

i saw the video the road safety people put out about dangers of texting. it shows actions and consequences quite well. how the innocent are often affected.

have a look for it on you tube and then change the texting driver to an innatentive cyclist ( not a rider of a BSO) , somebody swerves to avoid them and a unstoppable series of eevnts start.

turnout

have a look for it on you tube and then change the texting driver to an innatentive cyclist ( not a rider of a BSO) , somebody swerves to avoid them and a unstoppable series of eevnts start.

I've heard that scenario loads of times but I've never actually heard of it actually happening in reality.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nobody wants specific groups targetted. an across the board approach is by far the better way. and education as the sentence, as i didlike the word punishment when you are trying to teach people something.

Texting/mobile using drivers (to name one example) have worse hazard perception than drunk drivers. Punishment would be entirely appropriate.

subaqua

What’s the point
Texting/mobile using drivers have worse hazard perception than drunk drivers. Punishment is entirely appropriate.

agreed . but education should never be sold as a punishment. otherwise those needing the education will not learn./are less likely to learn from it

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've heard that scenario loads of times but I've never actually heard of it actually happening in reality.

It's because everyone who's passed a driving test knows this rule;
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

So when the cyclist swerves unexpectedly, the driver has already given them plenty of room.

Top Bottom