RLJing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
One of the arguments put forward by people who run red lights on their bikes is that it doesn't harm anyone and it doesn't actually affect the reputation of all cyclists in any way.

I mention this because I was thinking about it as I slowed for a pedestrian crossing on red and the guy crossing was looking at me with what can only be described as terror on his face and was obviously ready to run back the way he came if I didn't stop.

I don't particularly like pedestrians thinking of me in that way.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I hate it, and the fact it's one of the first things someone will use against you if you say you cycle! But perceptions can really vary.

A friend who cycles locally and his experiences differ to mine, he thinks lots of cyclist jump lights more than car drivers, but he cycles earlier than me, and slightly different routes. I start further out than him and on the ring road, I'm watching the drivers lights to gauge when I can safely cross, so I'm going to see more car drivers going through a red.

I see that all tge time in London. A definite hesitation on green man when cyclists are around. Whether it's justified or not is another matter.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
One of the arguments put forward by people who run red lights on their bikes is that it doesn't harm anyone and it doesn't actually affect the reputation of all cyclists in any way.

I mention this because I was thinking about it as I slowed for a pedestrian crossing on red and the guy crossing was looking at me with what can only be described as terror on his face and was obviously ready to run back the way he came if I didn't stop.

I don't particularly like pedestrians thinking of me in that way.
Me either.

Arguments that it doesn't harm perception are utter bullsh1t. I believe the majority of non cycling population in the UK see cyclists as some form of risk, especially at lights. Worse, they see us as numpties.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But Aunt Sally, your alternative approach of automatic cameras shooting all red-light jumpers is unreasonable because what about cyclists who need to get through the junction when a trigger detection loop has failed? :laugh:

I tend to see London pedestrians don't hesitate even when they have a red man and only rarely when they have a green. Maybe I need to look more threatening :smile:

Oh and I also see far more motorists jump red than cyclists, not that two wrongs make a right but people are far too cowed into expecting ALL road users to RLJ, not only cyclists.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Id actually go a little further and say that when you tell a person that you meet, that you cycle into work...you can see the life draining from their eyes.

I deal with the provision of workspace across Europe. My work takes me from Iceland to Spain, across Europe into the borders of Asia (plus some of the US).

In 25 years of doing this I am still astounded at the negative attitude that employers, specifically in the UK, really take (rather than publicly take) towards cyclists.

In December 2015 a fairly well know CFO of a very well known institutional investor told my design team that he wasn't prepared to invest any of the project budget towards provisions for "loosers who are too tight to buy a train ticket"

Happy to fit a gym,with showers, laundry and fruit bar... because working out in a gym is cool and aspirational.

How may red light jumpers, pavement riders, over aggressive riders, know it all riders and idiots on bikes...has he met, I wonder.

My guess, not that many.

Such is the power of negative impressions.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
But Aunt Sally, your alternative approach of automatic cameras shooting all red-light jumpers is unreasonable because what about cyclists who need to get through the junction when a trigger detection loop has failed? :laugh:

I tend to see London pedestrians don't hesitate even when they have a red man and only rarely when they have a green. Maybe I need to look more threatening :smile:

Oh and I also see far more motorists jump red than cyclists, not that two wrongs make a right but people are far too cowed into expecting ALL road users to RLJ, not only cyclists.
I think the comparrison between red light jumping cars is, whilst accurate...a bit pointless.

We are all part ofbthebcar driving tribe and as such none of us are prepared to accept that we do wrong...even though we know we do.

But most people feel that cyclists are "others". They choose to be a bit weird, a bit different...so they deserve suspicion and besides, they think that, as I'm not one of them (and neither are most my mates) its good banter to join the bandwagon and knock them.

Pointing out that their own tribe is worse and decidedly more dangerous is a waste if time.

Better to lead by example and clean up our own act, untill the perception is that we are more aware, more diligent, more careful and more intelligent.

Perhaps, one day...more cool too.

Which is why I advocate specific licenses for those cycling within large cities. ( not elsewhere...just in large cities, during peak times)

Sorry, edit. When I say cyclist, I mean cycle commuters

Last edited:
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike

A pedestrian is allowed to cross on a red man though but that's not the point.

And I accept that motorists RLJ far more than cyclists do (I was almost hit by one on Saturday) but the ped this morning looked at me and looked scared not at the trucks and cars around me (this was on the South Circular so think urban motorway with pedestrian crossings)

A pedestrian is allowed to cross on a red man though but that's not the point.

And I accept that motorists RLJ far more than cyclists do (I was almost hit by one on Saturday) but the ped this morning looked at me and looked scared not at the trucks and cars around me (this was on the South Circular so think urban motorway with pedestrian crossings)
The sensible thing then would be to crash into him and demonstrate that it doesn't hurt as much as a car.

He will then brush himself down and thank you for highlighting that cyclists don;t hurt as much and less likely to kill as cars.

Although don't go and kill him, that would be annoying.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
The sensible thing then would be to crash into him and demonstrate that it doesn't hurt as much as a car.

He will then brush himself down and thank you for highlighting that cyclists don;t hurt as much and less likely to kill as cars.

Although don't go and kill him, that would be annoying.
Mmm, might damage the bike though. And I have a feeling that 240lbs of cyclist might hurt a bit although not as much as a car.

Top Bottom