RLJing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ah, apologies.

YTB!!!!!
Someone will be along with the photo again shortly.

But we digress.......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But most people feel that cyclists are "others". They choose to be a bit weird, a bit different...so they deserve suspicion and besides, they think that, as I'm not one of them (and neither are most my mates) its good banter to join the bandwagon and knock them.
I do sometimes speculate that this is part of the reason why I don't get regarded with terror often any more. In Norfolk or Cambridge, people probably know tons of cyclists anyway. Elsewhere, I just look like an ordinary person who happens to be riding a bike instead of walking. Conversely, I'd probably look with suspicion if something looking like @martint235's current avatar rode towards me :laugh:

A pedestrian is allowed to cross on a red man though but that's not the point.
Indeed and I don't say otherwise. Ability of bikes to cross on red men/bikes is about all that makes certain cycle tracks worth using - it's still nicer/easier if people crossing look and cooperate with other road users instead of stepping out without looking. Nevertheless, I've not hit one yet AFAICR :thumbsup:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I hate seeing it, whether as a motorist or cyclist, but sadly I think the general perception is all cyclists RLJ.

A couple of weeks ago on the radio programme I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, Jack Dee did his usual opening by making comical references to the area from where the programme was broadcast. One of the references was to someone who was colour blind and couldn't tell the difference between red and green. The punchline was, these days we call them cyclists.

mjr

I would suggest that this is the first thing many cycle haters point to when moaning about bicyclists.

It's unlawful, it gives ammo to the bike haters, and it's un-necessary.
Yeah but almost all of the people who do it aren't reading this, so WTF does anyone expect the likes of me to do about it?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yeah but almost all of the people who do it aren't reading this, so WTF does anyone expect the likes of me to do about it?
Quite often you'll get someone along to defend it on the basis it doesn't harm anyone and that it doesn't have any effect on the general perception of cyclists. It appears they are on holiday or locked up or something today.

mjr

Quite often you'll get someone along to defend it on the basis it doesn't harm anyone and that it doesn't have any effect on the general perception of cyclists. It appears they are on holiday or locked up or something today.
Oh OK. I'll keep on rejecting the concept of lumping all cyclists together as as nonsensical as lumping all motorists together and refusing to build any more motorways until Michael Carroll gets a full driving licence because that means probably all motorists are unlicensed. :thumbsup:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Spread the word. When you meet other cyclists, be resolute in your disapproval, when you talk to potential cyclists, tell them how it damages perception and when you meet non cyclists tell them how you despise those that do it.

it all helps...slowly.

Lonestar

Veteran
Id actually go a little further and say that when you tell a person that you meet, that you cycle into work...you can see the life draining from their eyes.

Yup,then it's more dangerous to cycle so they won't do it/road tax/insurance/cyclists area menaces/criminals/helmet cam/red light jumping discussion which has been done a million times before and I end up defending the motorist because my brain turns to jelly.:notworthy:

sidevalve

Über Member
But Aunt Sally, your alternative approach of automatic cameras shooting all red-light jumpers is unreasonable because what about cyclists who need to get through the junction when a trigger detection loop has failed? :laugh:
Sorry not a real argument is it ? IF a cyclist has to wait for too long [yes all lights will eventually 'serve' all approaches] he can always just jump off and [OH SHOCK HORROR !!!] walk through the junction [just imagine having to use your feet for walking ?!!].
The sensible thing then would be to crash into him and demonstrate that it doesn't hurt as much as a car.

He will then brush himself down and thank you for highlighting that cyclists don;t hurt as much and less likely to kill as cars.
Assuming it isn't one of those annoying 'old people' or stupid children who don't have the right to cross the road at all and suffers severe injury [dashed inconvenient that]. Clearly you as a VEHICLE [yes you are, get over it ] ALWAYS have right of way.

There are rules on the road - if you don't follow them stop crying when other people break them. Red lights mean S_T_O_P .end of story - no excuses - no pathetic 'reasons not to do it'
Finally IF the Red light cameras did highlight cyclists as well as cars how many prosecutions would there be - most 'naughty' cyclists would be happy to just ride away knowing that they would never be traced
Grow up - take responsibility or stop moaning about car drivers and wondering why so many people don't trust cyclists.

Top Bottom