RLJing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I ride down The Thames Path quite a bit. It's a shared path for pedestrians and cyclists. I find it utterly depressing that if I follow pedestrians really slowly and they suddenly realise that there is somebody on a bike behind them, they spring apart with a look of absolute terror, muttering apologies.
It's because you snuck up on them, surely? People do the same if you walk up behind them quietly.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
When I started cycling again one of the first things I did was remove the bell, "I don't need this, these are for kids I thought". Occasionally riding on shared paths I soon put it back on again.

Far less confrontational than a shout of excuse me and is often followed up and returned with a "thank you".

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's because you snuck up on them, surely? People do the same if you walk up behind them quietly.
I hang well back. Sometimes I make a really noisy gear change to alert them of my presence. Sometimes I just say "ping". Maybe their fear is just a London thing. I quite regularly get thanked for actually stopping at a zebra FFS!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Trouble with traffic lights is a lot of them have been reprogrammed from their original purpose, in order to fulfil the dual purpose of traffic control and traffic calming. You can spot when this happens because the exercise starts with speed and traffic volume measuring cables across the road, and then lo and behold, a month or so later the timing and priority has been hugely adjusted. I'd much rather the timing and priority was left alone, and the police did their job and came out with their speed guns to catch people.

BEHMOTH66

I take your point but its not an intention to make life harder...actually easier. Training just helps minimise collisions. Removal of the liscence I what stops bad behaviour.
I'm sure visitors could sign up to the terms if the licence as part of their. Hire agreement (this one is tricky but I'm sure could be worked out)

No road side stops are needed. Anyone seen breaking the terms of the licence can be stopped (by any law enforcement officer) and identified by their registration...a small flag under the seat, attached to the seatpost...just like all those sportive/audux/triathlon riders sport for months after entering an organised ride.

All pretty simple really. As for cost to the cyclist...£20 a year...my guess is most cyclists spend more than that on compressed air for their tyres....which is free already.
so what about kids who ride bikes? you are really going down a one way street kids will not be able to ride on the road, so much for cycling holidays with the family ect ect next will be tax on how far you cycle before we know it it will be as expensive to ride as it is to drive

BEHMOTH66

See upthread. He just forgot about them. It's all part of the refreshingly spontaneous alternative to thinking.
Yeah I did see that after I posted, but once you start taxing in any shape or form will only lead to more taxing in the future imagine insurance for your car £350 p/y Insurance for your bike £200 per year because it will happen sooner or later and charging cyclist for one thing and they will start to charge for everything

Top Bottom