RLJing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
People only hate you in the Cities or so it seems.
I guess I can always make an exception.

Katherine

Guru
Cyclists who rlj at pedestrian crossings and junctions are thoughtless and careless at best, and selfish and dangerous at worst. I've seen a cyclist go through a red light at the bottom of a motorway slip road, causing the cars coming off the motorway to emergency brake. The ones who weeve in and out of rush hour traffic make everyone else's journey more stressful and dangerous. Even though it's the few giving a bad name for the many, it's because their actions have such an effect on other road users that creates their reputation.

sidevalve

Über Member
So how come all those rude, inconsiderate, dangerous things that drivers do don't have a similar effect?
Yes it does and if spotted by the police they will be stopped [unlike cyclists who will mostly just carry on their merry way].
BUT why does this old chestnut keep cropping up anyway ?
Red means stop - not to do so is a criminal act - it is illegal - it is dangerous - there is NO justification or excuse for it. Yes sometimes we've all see other doing it but no that doesn't make it ok so any bulls--t argument about car drivers is just that - a pathetic excuse for criminality. It really is time to stop finding excuses and grow up.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think the answer is don't pick and choose which laws you feel like obeying. If you want cyclists as a user group to be taken seriously and treated with respect by other road users and society as a whole, then we need to smarten up our act as a group. It's unfair, but the reality is that because society is so Car-O-Centric then infringements, nobbish riding, RLJ's, no lights etc by a few reflect disproportionately upon the well behaved majority. This is why I tend not to get too het up by the videos of bad driving posted by the camera Taliban - plenty of cyclists still behave like twots, so why should we expect other road users to be any better?

Look after your own riding, keep yourself safe, set a good example, that's all you can do. If enough of us do it and keep doing it then eventually we may get treated with the consideration and dignity that we feel we deserve.

Drago

Legendary Member
Like taxi drivers or 4x4 drivers?

Alas Marky, we should be concentrating in improving out own image, not what others are up to. As aforementioned by myself, society is inherently Car-O-Centric so the weight of opinion is inherently against us before we've even started. The old "I can be naugthy and justify it because someone else is being naughty" is hogwash at the best of times, and when were viewed as a minority by the car-oriented majority it just comes across as wheedling and whining.

Set the example, keep setting it, day in, day out, and after years, decades, our image will improve and treating cyclists badly will hopefully become as socially unacceptable as drink driving has become. Set the example, encourage others to do the same. Eventualkly they too will start doing it and hopefully encourage more people. Camera vigilantes, making little boy excuses about taxi drivers doing it serves to do nothing except perpetuate friction between different user groups. Do you want things to change, or do you just want to whine a lot?

Top Bottom