RLJing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I say again.. sorry to repeat myself.

It's a barrier to stop some people cycling where in fact we want to do the opposite.

How about a better idea of if you drive a car or will be taking a test, you have to ride a bike in the city for 3 months first.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I fail to see how a driver, having been of the opinion that all cyclists are self-gratification artists, will become disabused of this opinion due to the presence of cyclists licences.

In other words, it's a solution looking for a problem.

si_c

Guru
The problem of respect. Of not being treated as equals on the road. Of being assumed to be lawless and treated as such, regardless of the evidence.

I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest that any of these problems would be solved with a licensing scheme for cyclists. Far better would be a scheme to better educate the minority of road users that we have a right to be on the road regardless of their wishes otherwise.

Licensing is a red herring and which would only serve to raise a barrier to cycling on the roads for people who have every right to be there, whilst satiating the dog-whistles of narrow minded, ill informed cockheads. Evidence would suggest that adding these barriers (mandatory helmet laws) diminish the prevalence of cycle commuting.

In addition to the cost (which for me would be non-significant) which may be non-trivial to some people, particularly those on a limited income, how would you decide who requires this? Would children under the age of 16 need a license? How about under 10s? Would you need one if using a cycle path that merges with a main road?

I could go on.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Andrew_P

In between here and there
lol it even happens to me at the pedestrian lights outside Redhill station, I assume London commuters they watch me with a mixture of distain and anticipation that I am going to plough straight through

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So I need 5 of these? One for each bike. I assume they are not easy to remove because then there'll be a black market in stolen flags within days (if not hours in London)
That's a good point...perhaps yes, I would guess its uncommon for most commuters to have more than two commuter bikes....maybe even more than one.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I shall take a good look next week, packing for a ski trip to the alps tonight, so cycling shall be far from my thoughts for a week.

There is always a way.

article-1334924-0C51E941000005DC-810_634x430.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Would children under the age of 16 need a license? How about under 10s? Would you need one if using a cycle path that merges with a main road?

I could go on.

I cant see why an under 16 or under 10 year old would be cycling in a city during the rush hour? remember, this a city specific licence, for rush hour riding, not a general thing.

As for the merge, well, yes if the lane is in a city...for exactly the reason that, the pointless segregation solutions always need to merge eventually.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I shall take a good look next week, packing for a ski trip to the alps tonight, so cycling shall be far from my thoughts for a week.
Have you got your ski licence?

I cant see why an under 16 or under 10 year old would be cycling in a city during the rush hour?
Going to school?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
That's a good point...perhaps yes, I would guess its uncommon for most commuters to have more than two commuter bikes....maybe even more than one.
Really? Not a summer commuter, a winter commuter, and a Brompton?
In summer particularly I just tend to pick one. Even in winter Lelly, commuter and MTB are interchangeable and all have been out since the beginning of Dec

mustang1

Legendary Member
Yes, that last bit tends to split opinion but its really not as weird as it sounds.

A trained, card carrying, fully licenced rider, entering a city with full knowledge and understanding...would be better qualified than the other road users.

Plus, we could police riders who break the terms of their licence and throw the off of city roads.

If nothing else, it would remove an argument that city cyclists are a law unto themselves, may even earn us some respect.

So here's the thing about bike RLJ: if there's a pedestrian crossing, about to cross, or anywhere near traffic lights, the cyclist should stop just in case pedestrian decides to cross. Once it's all clear, I see no reason why a cyclist shouldnt continue. Part of the appeal of cycling is a lack of obstacles preventing forward progress. I'm all for laws that allow turning-left on red and Idaho stops for example. These laws would not have come about if cyclists didn't bend the law in the first place (must have got govt thinking that it may be a good idea to bring laws up to date).

If we want to not RLJ just to make motorists happy, well, ya know, screw the motorist. I respect motorists, allow them to get in front if its obvious they will make good progress, always wave a thank you when letting me go etc. Putting myself out to please the motorist isn't my thing.

Edit: spelling mistake and a few additional words at the end.

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I take your point but its not an intention to make life harder...actually easier. Training just helps minimise collisions. Removal of the liscence I what stops bad behaviour.
I'm sure visitors could sign up to the terms if the licence as part of their. Hire agreement (this one is tricky but I'm sure could be worked out)

No road side stops are needed. Anyone seen breaking the terms of the licence can be stopped (by any law enforcement officer) and identified by their registration...a small flag under the seat, attached to the seatpost...just like all those sportive/audux/triathlon riders sport for months after entering an organised ride.

All pretty simple really. As for cost to the cyclist...£20 a year...my guess is most cyclists spend more than that on compressed air for their tyres....which is free already.

I wish you all gave me £20/year just for the heck of it because, well y'all spend more money than that on bike parts anderm, coffee. And clonthes. Oh and er stuff.

Top Bottom