RLJing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
None of those are requirements or proper arguments against.

If you stop and think about your argument you will find that is not proper or a requirement either. The difference is, I was taking the piss by suggesting cyclists should be forced to have that paraphernalia, when in reality all they need is a bike and a sense of adventure.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Bottom line is Jon. You are putting up barriers that will stop people cycling. And that is wrong, very wrong.
Well...yes I get that and of course you are right. I don't want to do anything to discourage riding but my intentions are well meant, I am sick of seeing cyclists being treated as some form of second class citizen. I probably see a little more of this than most due to some of the work that I do, which I involves surveying opinion across wide demographics...and I am always saddened at how...even cyclists, look down a little at those who cycle to work

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
And the rest of my post? Care to answer that?
I take your point but its not an intention to make life harder...actually easier. Training just helps minimise collisions. Removal of the liscence I what stops bad behaviour.
I'm sure visitors could sign up to the terms if the licence as part of their. Hire agreement (this one is tricky but I'm sure could be worked out)

No road side stops are needed. Anyone seen breaking the terms of the licence can be stopped (by any law enforcement officer) and identified by their registration...a small flag under the seat, attached to the seatpost...just like all those sportive/audux/triathlon riders sport for months after entering an organised ride.

All pretty simple really. As for cost to the cyclist...£20 a year...my guess is most cyclists spend more than that on compressed air for their tyres....which is free already.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Sorry, Ian I thought the other points were answered in the replies prior to this one.

Apologies if they aren't I'm reading this on a tiny phone screen

It's a vision of hell Jon. The kind of thing I'd expect from the Daily Heil.
Taking away the sheer joy of simply jumping on a bike without a care in the world, presumably just to satisfy drivers, seems perverse to me. If anyone told me I needed a licence to ride my bike, I'd tell them where to shove it!

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The problem of respect. Of not being treated as equals on the road. Of being assumed to be lawless and treated as such, regardless of the evidence.

Well if someone hates all cyclists because of the actions of a minority, they are by definition irrational.
So it won't matter a jot what ridiculous schemes you come up with to try and make cyclists appear more respectable, whatever that means. The people that already irrationally hate cyclists will continue to do so.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It's a vision of hell Jon. They kind of thing I'd expect from the Daily Heil.
Taking away the sheer joy of simply jumping on a bike without a care in the world, presumably just to satisfy drivers, seems perverse to me. If anyone told me I needed a licence to ride my bike, I'd tell them where to shove it!
Only in cities

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sorry got to leave the coffee shop and get back to work.

Happy to hear discussion on this as its something that I think "could" work, and I really welcome objections to kind of test the idea. Will try to reply later.

So far...if I'm right, casual riders and classification are the biggest unknowns

Other than just downright objection to the whole idea, which is fine..its just an idea.

Keep in mind, I do not support licencing riders...just city riders. Think of it as a congestion charge for riders interests in assisting integration and harmony ( that's better than serious ) who wish to enter a city

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Anyone seen breaking the terms of the licence can be stopped (by any law enforcement officer) and identified by their registration...a small flag under the seat, attached to the seatpost...just like all those sportive/audux/triathlon riders sport for months after entering an organised ride.
So I need 5 of these? One for each bike. I assume they are not easy to remove because then there'll be a black market in stolen flags within days (if not hours in London)

Top Bottom