RLJs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I had 6 RLJs at one set of lights this morning! It's getting ridiculous. And not all these were the typical scummy junk riders, some of the actual looked like they knew how to ride a bike! :laugh:

So on election day, the martint235 party is going to stand on a single topic: if you break the red light law, you become an old fashioned outlaw ie you are not protected by the rest of the law so I can just let instinct take over and punch you without fear of legal reprisal.

Sorry just needed to get that off my chest!

P.S. yes I probably do have some anger issues. Breathe, 1,2,3, breathe, 1,2,3

Jaguar

Just look at the nearest motorist, roll your eyes and shrug your shoulders (to show we're not all like that)

NigC

I see it occassionally in my area - while driving as there's no lights on my commute. Seems like (apparently) experienced cyclists that do it as well as kids

NigC

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Hmm...funny you should post this

I only saw 4 other cyclists on my way in today. 1 in 5 cyclists stopped at red.

Perhaps you could learn something from that 1 :tongue:

Sorry, somebody had to say it :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
Or maybe it just points out that the most of the worst riders for behaviour are on trashed BSOs? Which is my experience.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sorry but from experience, the majority of RLJs are done by people on badly maintained bikes. One of them this morning almost swerved into me as I passed him cos his gears were slipping badly and wouldn't engage.

And I've got nothing to preach about, just want the right to suspend the laws protecting people who pick and choose which laws apply to them.

5h1t i'd better start maintaining my bike.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
hackbike 666 said:
5h1t i'd better start maintaining my bike.

Yup! And I've got to figure out what the ominous creaking noise coming from my bike is. I'm praying it's a seat post/saddle issue because the alternative is too scary (having broken one frame last year!) :rofl:

Dan B

Disengaged member
martint235 said:
Sorry but from experience, the majority of RLJs are done by people on badly maintained bikes. One of them this morning almost swerved into me as I passed him cos his gears were slipping badly and wouldn't engage.
How close were you passing that a swerve would have hit you? Have you forgotten the HC advice to give cyclists as much room when overtaking as you would a car?

Davidc

Guru
Its not just pedal bikes. I see plenty with motor bikes of all sizes, and at least as many on 4 wheels RLJing.

There are two sets of lights locally where even if they're at green I slow down to a crawl and look before I go because it's so common - and that applies whether I'm on a bike or in the car.

A bit of enforcement and fining would stop it.

One problem with camera enforcement of traffic lights is of course that cars and motorcycles are identifiable, pedal cycles aren't.

BTW martint235, isn't a punch a bit tame? What's wrong with the stocks or the pillory in the market square, then we can all have a go with rotten eggs/ tomatoes etc!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Davidc said:
BTW martint235, isn't a punch a bit tame? What's wrong with the stocks or the pillory in the market square, then we can all have a go with rotten eggs/ tomatoes etc!

My preferred method would be an Uzi but I thought I'd start low to garner some support first.

@coruskate, yes I'm aware of the guidance for overtaking. This guy was lucky I wasn't in a car as he swerved across a whole lane before correcting. It does go back to the fact that if he'd stopped at the light there wouldn't have been an issue as I would have been alongside him and would have accelerated away before his swerve brought him into my path.

Notsoblue

if you break the red light law, you become an old fashioned outlaw ie you are not protected by the rest of the law so I can just let instinct take over and punch you without fear of legal reprisal.

How unpleasant. Though I think I understand your thought process. If I got annoyed and frustrated every time I saw someone who didn't behave in a way that is entirely pleasing to me, I'd probably have darkly violent reprisal fantasies too.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Notsoblue said:
How unpleasant. Though I think I understand your thought process. If I got annoyed and frustrated every time I saw someone who didn't behave in a way that is entirely pleasing to me, I'd probably have darkly violent reprisal fantasies too.

Having the fantasy is fine, it's acting it out that is the problem...

I saw a woman jump a red this morning - opposite me at a crossroads. She threaded past the 5 cyclists lined up waiting, and turned left (although it's a crossroads, the road to her right is one way, so there's never anything coming from it. (junction of St Leonards Place and Museum St)

She did stop at the next set, a junction with considerably more capacity for accident. (Gillygate/Bootham). I pulled alongside, and looked at her (and she saw me look), and considered saying something, but couldn't be bothered. The fact that I'd caught up was enough for me.

She rolled forward before the lights changed. I'd have caught her back up again and passed her with a superior glance*, if I hadn't been peeling off at the next turning to vote.

*all the while hiding my bursting lungs and palpitating heart :rofl:

Top Bottom