Road bar bend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
What shape bars do you use?
I'm currently running Cinelli Vai bars which I bought mainly on price. After using them for a few months I'm still not hooked on the shape. I find the flat central section of the bend to be a a bit too vertical, particularly when climbing in the drops. I think I would prefer a more horizontal and lower flat section. I also find the ends of the bar pretty useless. What bars would you recommend (low end)? Any particular ergonomic, or maybe a classic bend? Do the drop/reach measurements relate to the shape of the bend?

I quite like the look of this shape

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a...60036583&n=Easton EC90 Aero CNT Road Bar 2008

But it's way out of my price range!

peekay76

Those bars don't look that clever to me. If your hand is nicely on the flat section of the drops you're going to have a job reaching the brake levers in a hurry.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Who needs brakes?:biggrin:
I know what you mean though, I'm actually leaning towards giving some classic bend bars a go.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Joe said:
Who needs brakes?:biggrin:
I know what you mean though, I'm actually leaning towards giving some classic bend bars a go.

My current ones are just the set that came on the SCR2.0, an "anatomic" bend design. My old bike had classic bend bars, and I liked them (too bloody narrow mind :sad: ) - to the extent that the ones on the Giant still feel a bit odd at times. (I think the newer bars are probably better from the point of view of the "covering the brakes" position on the drops).

One thing I used to do on the old bars was give my hands a rest on long straights by holding the lowest, horizontal bit of the bar - I miss that on the new bike.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
One thing I used to do on the old bars was give my hands a rest on long straights by holding the lowest, horizontal bit of the bar - I miss that on the new bike.
I think I would like that option. I often get the urge to climb using the very end of the bars but because the horizontal section is too short I end up with my palm on the angle and it's not comfortable.

Top Bottom