Road bike 1" threaded fork/headset upgrade options.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hac is right.

Lots of differing ride qualities in materials. I found my 531c (competition) frameset nothing like as stiff as the Columbus SLX steel. Then I got a 653 that was somewhere in-between - all steel frames. My alloy/carbon daily commuter is a teeth rattler compared to the others. My best bike is the SLX - does everything right but heavy compared to carbon.

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
........I have two full carbon bikes, they are as smooth as steel in terms of absorbing buzz off the road, both are stiffer than steel and one is far stiffer than the other. It is also less foregiving over small potholes etc. It feels though that more effort you put in the more you get in return if that makes any sense.
This makes perfect sense to me. Steel is better at absorbing buzz/vibration etc which it does by flexing, however this leads to power loss when transmitting rider power through the frame to the back wheel. From what I understand of carbon frame design (without owning a carbon bike), the better builds will allow the flex to absorb unwanted vibration but will be more rigid in the BB and seat/chain stays when you put the hammer down :smile:............. plus the weight advantage too.

Can anyone draw me a freehand sketch to show in what plane and in what way a carbon fork works so that it absorbs more shock than any other type of material?

A simple sketch will do. And whilst you are at it, why not put some dimensions to the properties of the fork so that we can understand just how much better one material is over the other in absorbing shock, buzz, bumps and all the other stuff it apparently absorbs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hac is right.

Lots of differing ride qualities in materials. I found my 531c (competition) frameset nothing like as stiff as the Columbus SLX steel. Then I got a 653 that was somewhere in-between - all steel frames. My alloy/carbon daily commuter is a teeth rattler compared to the others. My best bike is the SLX - does everything right but heavy compared to carbon.
I've got a 653 frame and allegedly they are a combined tube set with a 753 main triangle and 531c rear stays and a 531 fork so that may explain the in-between feel of the 653. The difference between 531 and 531c is thinner wall tubing which is why they have a bit more flex.

Citius

I've got a 653 frame and allegedly they are a combined tube set with a 753 main triangle and 531c rear stays and a 531 fork so that may explain the in-between feel of the 653. The difference between 531 and 531c is thinner wall tubing which is why they have a bit more flex.

653 is a hybrid tubeset, but I don't think it's the combination you mention. My understanding is it comprises 531c fork blades, cold-worked 531c main tubes (drawn thinner than regular 531) and 753 rear triangle. That's what my frame builder told me when he built mine, although it was a few years ago now. He died a while back unfortunately, so I can't ask him.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
653 is a hybrid tubeset, but I don't think it's the combination you mention. My understanding is it comprises 531c fork blades, cold-worked 531c main tubes (drawn thinner than regular 531) and 753 rear triangle. That's what my frame builder told me when he built mine, although it was a few years ago now. He died a while back unfortunately, so I can't ask him.
Just been googling and it is possible to find both yours and my descriptions out there, wiki says my idea of the makeup so that could well be wrong. :unsure:

Top Bottom