Road Bike Brake Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu1903

Über Member
Which make of pads do you all use on your road bike?

I bought some cheap one and they are crap. Very slow to brake.

Looking for a decent set that will perform well in the wet too as living in Scotland we only ever get rain!

My current brakes are Shimano Dura Ace

Sittingduck

Legendary Member

I've only recently fitted the Swisstop TBH and I've only ridden about 40 miles with them, but I do like them. I was experiencing front brake shudder before I got these which has all but gone now.

The Koolstops do what it says on the tin. I've used them in wet weather and the brakes don't fade, and nor do the pads 'mush' either in those conditions. I've trashed cheap pads inside of a week on wet commutes before, but these hold up far better.

Classic case of getting what you pay for IMO. If it's mainly wet I'd say Koolstops, if it's a mix I'd got for Swisstops.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
+1 ro the koolstops.
Salmon on the front, black on the rear fot the ultimate in stopping power.

Halt Gooey pads are very very nearly as good (cept in the realy wet), and much cheaper.

l4dva

Guru
+1 for Koolstops

martint235

Dog on a bike
Doesn't everyone know about Koolstops by now. Salmon on the front, black on the back.

Has anyone tried the dual compound Koolstops yet?

BSRU

A Human Being
The only problem with Koolstops is they make your wheels very dirty, started using SwissStop GHPs and they seem as good but less messy.

When back home in Scotland, I've had both Swisstop and Koolstop and they both performed well on the braking front but poor on the longevity front; I think I preferred the koolstops as they lasted marginally longer. Longevity wise but not so on the performance I found 105 inserts lasted 5 times longer. When I head back north to pick up my bike I've got a set of tripple compound pads from the lbs, 4 for £7.99 I'll try, I cant remember the brand though :blush:

martint235

Dog on a bike
When back home in Scotland, I've had both Swisstop and Koolstop and they both performed well on the braking front but poor on the longevity front; I think I preferred the koolstops as they lasted marginally longer. Longevity wise but not so on the performance I found 105 inserts lasted 5 times longer. When I head back north to pick up my bike I've got a set of tripple compound pads from the lbs, 4 for £7.99 I'll try, I cant remember the brand though :blush:
I've always found that the longer my brakepads last, the less time my rims last.... would prefer the pads to wear. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom