Road bike buying advice for newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

AdamD1

Regular
Hope it gives you many miles of smiles ^_^
Just need to find some decent stretches of road that aren’t totally destroyed. Roads in my local area are absolutely diabolical, I’ve found since having the road bike. Half the time I feel like I should have got a 4x4, pothole and and bump central.

Just need to find some decent stretches of road that aren’t totally destroyed. Roads in my local area are absolutely diabolical, I’ve found since having the road bike. Half the time I feel like I should have got a 4x4, pothole and and bump central.
Know what you mean, go with wider tyres and 70-80 psi :okay:

OP
OP
A

AdamD1

Regular
So I took it to the shop and they said the limit screws were out slightly and so adjusted them. Noticed a huge improvement but after half an hour went back to how it was and is now noisy and crunchy again. What do limit screws do and how much do I need to adjust them? I’ll be honest, I’ve got no idea. Losing patience with a 2 week old, £1,100 bike making such noises.

OP
OP
A

AdamD1

Regular
Are you cross chaining?
What bike/groupset is it?
I cross chained a couple of times at the start (newbie error) but not any more.
Cannondale synapse tiagra bike. Group set? Shimano tiagra, I think (see, I literally know nothing!).

Last edited:
I cross chained a couple of times at the start (newbie error) but not any more.
Cannondale synapse tiagra bike. Group set? Shimano tiagra, I think (see, I literally no nothing!).
I don't understand why it would be fixed and then go noisy again so soon ?

Any idea where the noise is coming from ? Front mech ? Rear mech ?

Does it happen if you lift the wheel and pedal the bike or just when you're riding it ?

OP
OP
A

AdamD1

Regular
I don't understand why it would be fixed and then go noisy again so soon ?

Any idea where the noise is coming from ? Front mech ? Rear mech ?

Does it happen if you lift the wheel and pedal the bike or just when you're riding it ?
Me neither, very odd.

Sounds very much like the front.

Just when riding it.

Alex321

Veteran
So I took it to the shop and they said the limit screws were out slightly and so adjusted them. Noticed a huge improvement but after half an hour went back to how it was and is now noisy and crunchy again. What do limit screws do and how much do I need to adjust them? I’ll be honest, I’ve got no idea. Losing patience with a 2 week old, £1,100 bike making such noises.
What the limit screws do is set the "stop points". They limit how far the mech will move in each direction.

If they have been adjusted, then it seems likely the tension in the cable will be the issue. Limit screws, once they are right, shouldn't need adjusting again, but new cables sometimes give a little as they bed in. If it doesn't start pulling the mech across (from the small ring to the large) as soon as you start pushing the lever, then it isn't quite tight enough.

Reactions: C R
Me neither, very odd.

Sounds very much like the front.

Just when riding it.
And have you changed gear at the front when the noise comes back ? And is it in all gears or just certain ones ?

C R

Guru
What is that? I can check it when I know what to look for!
The front shifter has the ability to trim the position of the derailleur cage slightly. For instance, if you shift to the large chain ring but you are in the middle of the cassette the chain may rub on the cage plate closer to the seat post. If you push on the downshift lever slightly there will be a click that backs the front derailleur a bit moving the plate away from the chain. Effectively the shifter has four possitons, two close together for the large ring and two close together for the small ring.

OP
OP
A

AdamD1

Regular
can I add a video here? I can’t see an option. The chain is catching on the silver part at the front, see pic. No idea what this is or how to adjust.
F6106D94-1713-419E-89B4-BD0AFC18FF18.jpeg

Attachments

• 1DC00093-6946-4DDC-9C93-3C49D3FC0E7F.jpeg
    1DC00093-6946-4DDC-9C93-3C49D3FC0E7F.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 10

C R

Guru
can I add a video here? I can’t see an option. The chain is catching on the silver part at the front, see pic. No idea what this is or how to adjust. View attachment 615264
So it is catching in the front derailleur cage. Couple of questions.

Can you push the cage out by hand? If not it would indicate that the high limit screw needs backing off a bit.

If you can push the cage by hand, is there adjustment left in the barrel adjuster to increase the cable tension.?

Top Bottom