road bike chain advice pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
have had an ultegra chain and rear cassette on my bike for just under a year. the bike is stored inside my shed and is kept very clean!! noticed the chain is turning dark in places,lost its shine. before this one i had a stock chain on the bike and it kept its shiney clean look a lot longer. has anyone noticed this with ultegra chain? also the cassette is a bugger to clean as well. any chain/rear cassette recommendations? bike is a 10 speed

pclay

Veteran
Instead of renewing them, have you thought about cleaning them? If the chain isn't worn, why replace it. You need a chain wear tool which cost a couple of pounds.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
i clean the chain every two weeks and in only out at the weekends at the mo!! i use degreaser which worked well on the old chain, but this ultegra one, whilst still works well, just wont come up shiny clean and is discoloured on places

MikeW-71

Veteran
I never use degreaser now. Can't remember when I last used my chain wash tool thing.

Mickle method every week, wiped clean through an old towel thoroughly then a drop of lube. Unless the chain is damaged, don't worry about it.

Top Bottom