Road bike cyclists, why don't you nod back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
I love cycling and have been cycling all my life.I have a decent cube mountain bike which I mainly use (97%) on the asphalt road.
When I'm out for a ride on the weekends I pass a lot of road bike cyclists going the other way. I like to nod at every cyclist who are clearly doing the same as me and are out for a ride rather then actually going anywhere they need to go. I find that most road bike cyclists don't nod back :sad: I'm starting to think that this is because I am on a mounting bike, because most mounting bike cyclists I come across nod back at me.
You could argue that most idiots on bikes are on a mounting bike and hence not true cyclists, however I spent a grand on my bike, I'm not some chav on a stolen £60 tesco excuse of a bike.

So I would like to ask all the road bike cyclists: would you nod back at a MTB cyclist? If not why not?
If you do nod back, Thank you.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I ride a mountain bike.
To be honest, I don't really care who nods at me....I'll smile and nod anyway, if they acknowledge me, then that's fine.
I'm out doing what I love.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I always like to say hi or acknowledge whether I'm on a hybrid or road bike/cx maybe they are foolishly feeling a wee bit superior for some reason......

screenman

Legendary Member
I nod and say hello to every cyclist I see when riding any type of bike that I own

History may play a part, I started riding in 1969 when most cyclist acknowledged each other.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I stop and salute other bike riders* ...........................

*This post may contain traces of a lie

snorri

Legendary Member
Maybe this has been covered before on here..
Yes, this topic does crop up from time to time on CycleChat, but as a recent joiner you could not be expected to know that, so please don't take offence if any responses to your post are errr.... a little robust^_^.
Anyway you're not the only one who finds these "road" cyclists a little odd, so many of us cycle on the road but only the drop bar brigade think they should be called road cyclists for some strange reason:boxing:.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I carry a supply of half bricks in a backpack when I go out for a ride. Any cyclist who doesn't acknowledge me gets one chucked at him when he rides past. This is not just a cathartic process but also results in an increasing average speed as my weight steadily decreases during the ride. On the odd occasion that a cyclist I have hit has managed to chase after me I have also achieved a couple of Strava KoMs

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

You are not my brother-in-arms. There is no fraternity. I am riding my bike(s) because I want to, not because of some misplaced sense of solidarity.

Et cetera
Et cetera

If folk don't acknowledge you don't let it nip your sac.

EDIT: and it goes for runners too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hooray.. The penny jar is getting low..and it's a good one too...

stock-illustration-23448922-kerching-pop-art-cartoon-style.jpg

Top Bottom