Road Bike for a..Cough....Big Guy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Losidan

I make no secret that I carry a big spare tyre round my middle. I have lost a fair bit of weight but have a long way to go...Thing is, I was wondering if there is any road bikes that would be up to the job for a big guy..Ie with a weight in stones that begins with a 2 not a 1!

I currently have an MTB which I am thinking of modding for faster commuting but i was also pondering if there is a road bike that would be up to the job.

Currently I ride on towpath and road but riding all on road would be little problem

Thanks
Dan

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have you tried putting road tyres or commuter tyres with a ridge on your MTB and pumping them up really hard? You'll be amazed at the increase in speed.

OP
OP
L

Losidan

Not yet but it is on my list...

I was just curoius if there was a road bike for the "big guy"

Globalti

Legendary Member
Would a cross bike be built stronger?

(I mean a bike built for cyclo-cross, not one that's a bit nowty.)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Losidan said:
I make no secret that I carry a big spare tyre round my middle. I have lost a fair bit of weight but have a long way to go...Thing is, I was wondering if there is any road bikes that would be up to the job for a big guy..Ie with a weight in stones that begins with a 2 not a 1!

I currently have an MTB which I am thinking of modding for faster commuting but i was also pondering if there is a road bike that would be up to the job.

Currently I ride on towpath and road but riding all on road would be little problem

Thanks
Dan

My weight has resolutely remained above 300 lbs over the past five years and has been as high as 340lbs. I have four bikes that see regular use and all of them have coped well:

Trek 4500 mountain bike
Raleigh R100 steel framed road bike used for 100 and 200km Audaxes
Dawes Galaxy - used for 100 and 200km Audaxes as well as cycle camping tours
Ridgeback Horizon steel framed hybrid general run around

Of the road bike only the Galaxy is still in production - you might want to start there. Spa Cycles www.spacycles.co.uk usually have keen prices on the Dawes bikes.

Top Bottom