Road Bike for Towpaths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
There are a lot of Boardman CX bikes that come up for sale secondhand, a lot of these have had not much use, keep an eye on facebook selling or Bikeradar and Singletrackworld Classified as well as eBay, and there is always new with CUK or BC discount this gets near your budget, 1 x 11 though not 50/34.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike-50-53-55-5-57-5cm-frames

Cheaper version with 50/34

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...oardman-cx-comp-bike-50-53-55-5-57-5cm-frames

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Tbh, the last time I looked at the bike market was in 2012 when I bought my Dawes Vantage. I haven't a clue what's good or not regarding cx/gravel/touring bikes these days but generally, tourers are designed to be more laid back yet the frames can be stiff as ice so they don't flex all over the shop when loaded. Their bigger tyres make up for that.
CX bikes afaik have more 'racy' geometries but don't usually have mounts for mudguards. Gravel bikes I think are in between.
Personally, I'd go for a tourer as that's what I'm used to and so far mine haven't limited me too much in where I can ride.
The Vantage, despite it's sharp handling was bloody good fun to blast around fire trails on it's Schwalbe Landcruisers :biggrin:
I swore because a car coming up the road forced me to slow down.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sounds like you need the type of road bike we all had in the 70's / 80's before the trend for frames that only take narrow tyres at stupid pressures.

Something with a decent steel frame, stable geometry, long wheelbase and the ability to fit non-skinny strong tyres - a Dawes Galaxy in 531ST or something very similar. If you aren't bothered about having drop bars, get a 1990's quality steel framed hybrid. Forget about modern oversize tubed aluminium frames. There is something pretty unpleasant about the way they ride compared with steel.

Venod

Eh up
Forget about modern oversize tubed aluminium frames. There is something pretty unpleasant about the way they ride compared with steel.

Just not true IMO, I am old enough to have owned and ridden some nice steel frames, I have owned and ridden Carbon Aluminium and Titanium, some of the best rides have been the Cannondale Aluminium bikes I have owned, some with oversized tubes, so I wouldn't dismiss Aluminium.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I quite agree. What I'm after is a bike that is suitable for road and also suitable for tow paths. So I suppose I'm looking for an endurance bike/tourer. Something that would have the option to fit wider tyres and have a compact chain set (50/34). So what are my options for say under £750?
Check out Spas ex demo sale

Top Bottom