Road Bike Front and Rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charlotte_C+ :-)

Cunobelin said:
There is a good site (American though) that shows visual comparison of lights, at www.gearreview.com and a British version at Audax UK If you follow the comparison links it will geive visual assessment of the various lights.

Thanks for those links!:blush:.

P.H

Über Member
Don’t buy a high power LED without doing some research. The technology is moving fast and the next generation are starting to be used in bike lights. Dinotte and Niterider have both upgraded, though they’re not in the UK yet. The difference is considerable, both in brightness and run times.
Here’s an example;
http://www.niterider.com/prod_minewtx2.shtml

The luxeon leds seem to coming down in price, I have a couple of 1w led torches that run on AAA batteries(£20 tesco) and I recently spotted some 3w torches in blacks(£30) those take AA.
After trial and error I have settled on some basic catye lights for the flashing being seen purpose and a either the 1w torches (which are small and easy to mount) or a petzl headlamp if Im of road and need to see the way.

I mention the battery types because I have a dozen or so of uniross AA 2700 and AAA 900 batteries which I keep on charge, they can also be used for the GPS or other devices , they are cheap,readily availible and in an emergency can be replaced with a duracell or two.

After trying out a few charge overnight type systems this has been the most practicle, maybe not the most powerful, but good enough to keep a decent pace on a pitch black singletrack.

spen666

Legendary Member
Elmer Fudd said:
Smart 3 l.e.d front and 7 l.e.d. rear, I leave them on flash mode, not, ahem, strictly legal but people can see you. Not so good down a dark un-lit path as they are more a 'be seen' rather than a 'see' light set up. Plus they're small enough to whip off and stick in your pockets if you need to.

Are you sure?

smiorgan

For front I have the entry-level Light and Motion offering. Best rechargable I have bought so far - most compact, most waterproof, fine for unlit lanes around Oxfordshire to both see and be seen. Cost me around a hundred quid.

For rear I use about 2-3 LEDs, some flashing and some steady.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
[QUOTE45056][quote name="][quote="Elmer Fudd"]Smart 3 l.e.d front and 7 l.e.d. rear' date=' [B']I leave them on flash mode, not, ahem, strictly legal[/B'] but people can see you. Not so good down a dark un-lit path as they are more a 'be seen' rather than a 'see' light set up. Plus they're small enough to whip off and stick in your pockets if you need to.[/quote]

Are you sure?[/QUOTE]

He's right. Flashing lights are legal only if they don't have a static 'on' mode.

I think you are ok if they are BS approved, but there are very few that are. This bit might be wrong.[/QUOTE]

you can have flashing lights if they are in addition to a static light that is attached to the bike. i carry two flashers attached to my rucksack on winter commutes.

Charlotte_C+ :-);44915][quote name= said:
If you follow the comparison links it will geive visual assessment of the various lights.

Thanks for those links!:ohmy:.[/QUOTE]

Yes - thanks - throws a lot of light on the subject,( :ohmy: :blush:) including current law etc...[/URL]

xroads

Front: white flasher led + dynamo powered 3W + 10W spotlight (dynamo rechargeable batts) for unlit paths.
Rear: 3 led flasher

Arch

Married to Night Train
Summer bike: front and rear clip-on LED battery lights (Smart, I think) plus a front 'backups' type light (little single LED with elastic mounting strap) on the bars and a rear one on my helmet, flashing.

Winter bike: Dynamo lights front and rear, plus a clip on front light as extra (rear has standlight) and the backups as above as well.

I rarely cycle outside street lit areas in the dark, so I'm really out to be seen, than to see.

Cateye Opticube EL530. High power LED that runs off 4 AA batteries. The rechargeable ones work well in this.

Cateye rear light with the ten LEDs.

Search for Geargurl on ebay and you'll get both for about GBP35.00 incl. P&P. They will also declare it under the VAT threshold.

It's a smashing light - bright, waterproof, small and easy to slip off and carry in a bag. I see cars STOP when it catches their eye as they edge in from the left. It's also bright enough to use on dark paths and roads, although I wouldn't use it on a trail.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

bonj2

Cunobelin said:
Bonj,

the photo shows the whole kit, in practice you use only the light, and the small black battery pack. more compact on the bars than a complete beattery enclosed unit.
so... what's the rest of it for then? Presumably you're paying for the 'whole kit'?
And you still have wires to fiddle with, no?

Top Bottom