Road bike gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del1371

I have an S-works with Sram Force 53/39 & Ultegra 11-28 but I still struggle on the hills as I am 15 stone.
Can I put a 11-30 on the rear, I think I have a standard Sram Force DR..........need some help keeping up with my smaller fellow riders

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have an S-works with Sram Force 53/39 & Ultegra 11-28 but I still struggle on the hills as I am 15 stone.
Can I put a 11-30 on the rear, I think I have a standard Sram Force DR..........need some help keeping up with my smaller fellow riders
39/30 would still be a tough gear on climbs at 15stone.......have you thought of putting a compact 50/34 crankset on there instead

jim55

Guru
Yeah fit either a 50/34 compact crank or a higher re he rear sprocket though you will b limited by derailuer for the rear sprocket

KneesUp

Guru
You could, subject to the RD being able to cope, but two more teeth won't make too much difference. In the early 90s (when I was young) I move from a flat area to a hilly area. I had 52/42 with a 6 speed 13-21 freewheel. I had no money, so went for the cheapest way of changing, which was to swap the front 42 for a 39 (the smallest my cranks would take) The bike was still ride-able but it was no fun (although by coincidence yesterday I drove one of the routes I cycled on that bike on one of my rare 'I think I'll go for a ride' days - there is no way I could ride that route with those gears now - none at all!)

So, in summary, if your gearing is too high, don't mess about changing by a few teeth - do it properly. That 'I can ride it, but my word it hurts' bike put me off cycling for 20 years in the end.

(My suggestion - get a triple)

Top Bottom