Road Bike - New entirely level bike or more expensive second hand one similar price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ARK

hi there

I'm new to the forum but not to cycling. spent many years speeding round the country side on my mountain bike but now want to buy a road bike as most my cycling now ends up on the road these days.

I wanted to ask experienced road cyclists about my two options buying a bike...either a brand new felt F95 with cheaper components or a second hand Boardman Team one year old but fairly good condition with better componects. I can get both for around the same price (500 - 600) but wondered what's better? I want one that will least me a while and also enter a few races next season on the road.

Felt F95 (MicroShift / sora) £500 aprox
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-2012/

Boardman Team (105's) RRP £1000
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team.html

Any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd have the Boardman - it's better - pay £50 to have it serviced if you cannot do it yourself . Sora's not the best with the thumb button, no shifting from the drops which could be a pain in a race I assume? The 105 is 2 levels above, and a big jump

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

I'd have the Boardman - it's better - pay £50 to have it serviced if you cannot do it yourself . Sora's not the best with the thumb button, no shifting from the drops which could be a pain in a race I assume? The 105 is 2 levels above, and a big jump

Thanks for reply. I was thinking similar about the gears/ shifters. Really want a bike with 105's but brand new I can't afford it. Hopefully a second hand Boardman would be worth the investment.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it - I spend rather more than that on my first roadbike - as I wanted something totally different to my hybrid. Not like the OP is completely new to riding and already has ambitions to race. Sounds a perfect place to start :smile:

defy-one

Boardman hands down. I spent the full £1k on a defy without really knowing about road bikes. I already have cheap hybrids and MTB. Best move I made and will last me years. My son wants it off me when I upgrade

the snail

Guru
thats a lot of money for something you have yet to experiance
If the boardman is in good nick, then the op should lose less if he decides it's not right for him - a new bike is going to depreciate a lot more as soon as he buys it. The only downside with a secondhand bike is no warranty and the risk that something expensive needs replacing, and it would have to be something pretty major to really lose out.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Lots of great responses thank you. I have a decent mountain bike that I build myself on a supper light unbranded frame and put the best components for what I do and could afford. Been awesome bike so I want to get the best first impression of a road bike I can get. From my experience you get what you pay for in terms of components. And I agree with The Snail, new bike will depreciate but a better level bike will still be worth something if well maintained and looked after - less risk if i decide to stick with MTB.

Top Bottom